History

A selection of moments that define Eckerd

Use the arrows below to navigate through the timeline.

Loading...
loading...

June 19th, 1958

William Kadel

Dr. William H. Kadel is named first President of Florida Presbyterian College.


« Previous | Next »

September 16, 1958

The Florida Legislature grants the charter for Florida Presbyterian College, and the Presbyterian synods appoint a board of trustees.


« Previous | Next »

February 1959

Dr. John M. Bevan is named first Dean of Florida Presbyterian College.


« Previous | Next »

Fall 1960

Florida Presbyterian College begins its first instructional program with 155 freshmen and 22 faculty members and becomes one of the first colleges in the country to use the 4-1-4 calendar format, with the interim Independent Study month in January.


« Previous | Next »

September 1962 - December 1963

Florida Presbyterian College moves from the former US Maritime Service Training Station buildings on Bayboro Harbor in downtown St. Petersburg to the shores of Boca Ciega Bay.


« Previous | Next »

November 30, 1966

Florida Presbyterian College receives full accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.


« Previous | Next »

May 8, 1968

Billy O. Wireman

Dr. Billy O. Wireman is appointed second President.


« Previous | Next »

Fall Term 1970

Gower Street Study Centre

First student group uses Gower Street Centre in London for study abroad trip.


« Previous | Next »

1971

EC-SAR

FPC Search, Rescue and Safety Team (providing services to the public since 1977 as Eckerd College Search and Rescue), the only volunteer student rescue group recently recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, is established.


« Previous | Next »

June 11, 1971

Jack Eckerd

Board of Trustees member Jack Eckerd gives $10 million to Florida Presbyterian College—the College's single largest gift at the time.


« Previous | Next »

July 1, 1972

The Board of Trustees changes the name of the College from Florida Presbyterian College to Eckerd College.


« Previous | Next »

1973 - 1974

"Project '73"—the Collegium structure is adopted, Autumn Term is established and the faculty members take on the role of mentor.


« Previous | Next »

March 21, 1977

Jack Eckerd

Jack Eckerd is appointed Interim President.


« Previous | Next »

July 19, 1977

Dr. Peter H. Armacost is appointed third President.


« Previous | Next »

November 30, 1977

The Program for Experienced Learners (PEL) is established. First classes are offered in spring 1978.


« Previous | Next »

October 31, 1982

The Academy of Senior Professionals at Eckerd College (ASPEC) is officially inaugurated with 14 charter members.


« Previous | Next »

1982 - 1983

The College's main entrance moves from 34th Street South to 54th Avenue South/Pinellas Bayway due to construction of I-275 overpass/interchange.


« Previous | Next »

Summer 1986

The Ford Foundation grants funds to establish and maintain the Ford Foundation Scholar Program.


« Previous | Next »

April 15, 1993

Galbraith Marine Science Laboratory

Galbraith Marine Science Laboratory (GMSL) is dedicated, reinforcing the Marine Science major (est. 1982) as one of the finest and most unique in the country.


« Previous | Next »

Spring 1997

Eckerd institutes Senior College. The program is later named the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) in 2005.


« Previous | Next »

August 14, 2000

Eugene Hotchkiss

Dr. Eugene Hotchkiss is appointed Interim President.


« Previous | Next »

March 20, 2001

Donald Eastman III

Dr. Donald R. Eastman III is appointed fourth President.


« Previous | Next »

August 9, 2003

The Phi Beta Kappa Society awards the Zeta Chapter of Florida to Eckerd College at the 40th Council.


« Previous | Next »

May 20, 2006

Miles Collier

Eckerd receives $25 million, the largest gift in its history, from Eckerd Chairman of the Board of Trustees Miles C. Collier and his wife, Parker.


« Previous | Next »

2008

Eckerd College 50th Anniversary

From February through November, Eckerd commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the College's founding through special events, programs and activities.


« Previous | Next »