The journalism minor consists of four core courses and one elective.
The four core courses are CW 220A Introduction to Journalism, CW1 300A/CW2 300A Internship with the Current (two semester course), CM 360A Media Ethics, and CW 204A Creative Nonfiction.
The elective must be chosen from the following courses:
- AR 244 Digital Photography (prerequisite AR 101A, AR 102A, or AR 229A)
- AR 322 Advanced Photography Critique (prerequisite AR 229A or AR 244 and permission)
- CM 306 Gender, Sexuality, and Media (prerequisite CM 101)
- CM 221A Media and Society
- CM 223 Argumentation and Debate
- CO 200E Writing the Environment
- CO 328 Advanced Research Writing
- CO 122 Analytic and Persuasive Writing
- CW 320 Advanced Journalism (prerequisite CW 220A)
- CW 348A Feature Writing (prerequisite CW 220A or CW 204A)
Students majoring in Communication may only count CM 360A Media Ethics for their major and the journalism minor. Students majoring in Creative Writing and seeking the journalism minor are not allowed to count the same workshop courses for both the major and minor. Students choosing to minor in both Journalism and Creative Writing cannot overlap courses to meet the requirements.