In China, I’m famous

One of the first things you notice when you get to China, and of course it is obvious, is that everyone is Chinese. When you are in the United States, you can never really tell if someone is a foreigner until they open their mouth, and for the most part, the rest of the world know some English. However, in China Americans and foreigners in general, stick out like sore thumbs. It was not uncommon for us to be approached about having our picture taken with younger Chinese students. One child at the Summer Palace wanted his “picture with the foreigners”. Out of the three of us Lindley can blend in with her black hair and dark eyes, but you can still tell she is American. Poor Calvin is probably the tallest person in China, and his lankiness doesn’t help, but at least he can get by with his spoken Chinese. I on the other hand feel like if I take off my sunglasses I am immediately stared at. My light blue eyes and face full of freckles is not very common in China, and my brown hair is a color not often found. You walk outside and see people smile and talk about you because you look different, and they don’t mean it in a bad way, they think it is beautiful that you don’t look the same. We thought we had escaped the paparazzi when we left Beijing, but Saturday when we were sitting outside, Lindley and I once again were asked by students if they could take a picture with us. Then yesterday at a bus stop someone wanted their picture with just me. And then at the beach we were all stopped by a large group of people. I am just waiting for people to ask for my autograph, then I will feel like a real celebrity.