Last Update

So we are now on our last few days in China, and we have all left Xiamen and are now in Beijing. I was able to finish my research up on a relatively good note. I was able to run the HPLC machine and analyze all of our results. Although we did not successfully extract the sex pheromones from the ovary of the mature Chinese black sleeper, we were able to find the substance in both of the holding water and the ovaries of the fish. We finished up our last day of research giving presentations on what we had achieved during the summer, and all of our presentations went very well. We then went to a buffet at the Wyndham Xiamen, and I ate so much sushi, cheese, and desserts that I thought I was going to die.

On my last day in Xiamen, I went out with Yuan, Eddiot, Bruce Lee, Lai, and Michael from my lab, and we had one last amazing meal of mudskippers, jellyfish, clams, and all kinds of other tasty seafood. When it was time to say farewell to my labmates, it was truly one of the saddest moments of my life. These are people that I feel like I have spent years of my life with, not just seven shorts weeks. It is amazing to me that I was able to become such great friends with people I was almost completely unable to communicate with just a few weeks ago. Although I don’t know when I will be back to China to see them, I guarantee I will keep my promise to be back to see them at some point.

Now that we are in Beijing our tourist activities have started up again in full swing. Today we went and saw the Forbidden City as well as a few gardens and lakes nearby, and tomorrow we will go and see the Great Wall. Of and if you are ever in Beijing, make sure you get some of the fried scorpion on a stick, it is absolutely amazing. Make sure to take that stinger off though because I am really feeling it today. I am sure we will all have tons of fun over the next few days, but for me just getting to know my labmates will surely have been the best part of the trip and some of the best times of my life.

Thanks to everyone who has made this trip possible. Bryan signing out.