Professor of Literature and Creative Writing
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
In the Creative Writing Major, students inaugurate a life-long apprenticeship in the literary arts. Creative Writing majors study classic and contemporary literature and learn the fundamentals of narrative, poetic, and dramatic craft. Students learn the following:
- effective use of the writing process
- use and ethos of the workshop class
- devices of narrative technical craft
- devices of poetic technical craft
- close reading skills
Students are required to take CW 200A Poetry and CW 201A Short Story, and CW204A Creative Nonfiction at Eckerd College.
For a minor in Creative Writing students take five courses which bear the CW designation. Three must be Eckerd College courses, and two CW courses must be 300 level or higher. A Literature course may be substituted for one of these courses.
Students wishing to double major in creative writing and literature must take ten literature courses and fulfill all other requirements for both majors. Literature courses taken for a major in literature may be counted for a minor in creative writing.
Creative Writing Majors must complete the following course work.
Majors must complete the following 100 level course:
- CW 100A Introduction to Creative Writing
Majors must complete the following 200 level courses:
- CW 200A Poetry
- CW 201A Short Story
- CW 204A Creative Nonfiction
- CW 306 Intermediate Poetry or CW 340 Avant-Garde Poetry
- CW 303 Intermediate Fiction
- CW 301 The Memoir as Story or CW 348A Feature Writing
- CW 435 Advanced Poetry
- CW 433 Advanced Fiction
- CW 407 Lyric Essay or CW 450A The Personal Essay
NOTE: Majors must complete a sequence (200, 300, 400) in at least one genre.