Building a career takes time and effort. The following information is intended to help with the process of finding jobs and internships in the fields that comprise environmental studies, but also in related areas as well. Remember that most people don't find their dream job on the first try. A career is built over time and often involves a bit of trial and error. The following websites provide helpful information to get you started on the right foot.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOBS - COMPREHENSIVE
- Environmental Career Center - The Environmental Career Center (ECC), has been helping people work for a better environment since 1980. ECC assists individuals and employers alike, in matching top candidates with today's top green employers.
- Environmental Career Opportunities - ECO lists hundreds of Environmental Jobs in conservation, education, policy, science & engineering, renewable energy and more! Environmental job vacancies are from all sectors of the job-market including non-profits, corporations, professional firms, institutions, and Federal, state and local governments.
- EnviroLink - Jobs and volunteer opportunities listed by topic.
- Aquatic Network - The Aquatic Network includes databases, news, articles, employment opportunities, publications, images, sounds, videos, products and services, and more.
- eco.org - Focused on connecting job seekers with eco-employers.
- America Job (previously called Federal Job Search) - Public sector jobs
- Student Conservation Association - conservation internships
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration(National Marine Fisheries) - includes career vacancies, internships, grants, scholarships, and career resources
- Peace Corps - includes jobs, general news, and online applications
- AmeriCorps - includes search by state, career resources, and updated news
- Fish and Wildlife Research Institute - internships, volunteer opportunities and employment
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission - career opportunities, internships and law enforcement
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection - employment listings
NONPROFIT JOBS AND INTERNSHIPS
- Amnesty International Internship Information (internships, volunteer opportunities and employment listings) - Amnesty International is a global movement of people fighting injustice and promoting human rights.
- Population Institute (careers) - The Population Institute is an international non-profit that educates policymakers and the public about population, and seeks to promote universal access to family planning information, education, and services.
- DC Internships - semester and summer internships
- National Geographic (careers and internships) - Inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888.
- Orion Magazine - (employment opportunities) - Orion is a bimonthly, advertising-free magazine devoted to creating a stronger bond between people and nature.
- National Council for Science and the Environment (jobs and internships) - The National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the scientific basis for environmental decision making.
- The Nature Conservancy (careers)- The Nature Conservancy is addressing the world's most pressing conservation problems with solutions that benefit people and nature.
- World Wildlife Fund (careers) - WWF creates solutions that will solve our planet's BIG environmental challenges. We want people and nature to thrive together.
- Sierra Club (jobs and internships) - Inspired by nature, Sierra Club is 1.4 million people, working together to protect our communities and the planet.
- National Audubon Society (jobs and internships) - Audubon's Mission: To conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity.
- Green Peace (jobs and internships) - Greenpeace is a 40-year old action-based, independent, global environmental organization.
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums (jobs and internships) - AZA is dedicated to the advancement of zoos and aquariums in the areas of conservation, education, science, and recreation.
- National Wildlife Federation (employment, internships, fellowships, volunteering) - The NWF is America's largest conservation organization.
- United Nations (employment, internships) - Peace and security, development, human rights, humanitarian affairs and international law.
- U.S. PIRG (jobs, fellowships, internships) - U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs), stands up to powerful special interests on behalf of the American public, working to win concrete results for our health and our well-being.
- Idealist.org (career resources, jobs, internships, volunteering, events, news and more) - Idealist connects people, organizations, and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives.
- Environmental Education Directory - includes information about graduate programs within the USA and internationally; also has a link to careers and internships within this field; and gives information about financial aid, general news about the field and has a forum.
- Teach for America - Learn more about how to join the movement to end educational inequity and help Teach For America reach its vision that one day, all children in this nation will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
- EE-Link - A collection of networks for environmental educators. Find and share materials and resources. Search for resources for program design, professional development, teaching tools, lesson plans, national and international events, jobs, and more.
- ENC - includes information on mathematics and science curriculum for K-12 teachers
- SEEK (Sharing Environmental Education Knowledge): SEEK is the home of Minnesota's environmental education (EE) resources. It includes a comprehensive directory of over 1200 resources, press releases, employment opportunities, research abstracts, web links and calendar of events.
- National 4-H National Headquarters - 4-H is the largest out of school youth program in the U.S., with over 7 million members and 500,000 teen and adult volunteers. Its goal, the four-fold development of youth: Head, Heart, Hands and Health.
- Border-Wide EE Coalition - A binational collaboration of Environmental Educators working on the US-Mexico border.
- EdGateway - Includes online tools to share about yourself and your organization, post events, form and participate in discussion groups, and link your website.
- National Project for Excellence in Environmental Education - Includes guidelines for excellence for EE materials, guidelines for initial preparation for EE educators, and K-12 guidelines for learning.
- The Globe Program - The Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) program is a worldwide hands-on, primary and secondary school-based science and education program. GLOBE's vision promotes and supports students, teachers and scientists to collaborate on inquiry-based investigations of the environment and the Earth system working in close partnership with NASA, NOAA and NSF Earth System Science Projects (ESSP's) in study and research about the dynamics of Earth's environment.
- Pathfinder Outdoor Education, Inc. - Pathfinder's primary objective is to teach personal, social, and environmental responsibility through activity-based learning. We offer programs that build community, develop leadership and teamwork, and enhance communication. Working together to identify and achieve common goals, participants gain new skills in problem-solving, healthy decision-making, and resolving conflicts.
GENERAL JOB SEARCH
- Career Builder - Includes a general job search with connections to 140 newspaper classified sections nationwide; mainly technical jobs, but a few technical writer and GIS positions
- Campus Career Center - Entry level jobs and internships for college students and graduates.
- Monster - Global online employment solution for people seeking jobs and the employers who need great people.