Professor of Decision Sciences
Coordinator of the Management Discipline
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm
The Business Administration Major
The Business Administration major focuses on acquiring those competencies that constitute the accepted body of knowledge in the discipline as those competencies apply to administering a for-profit corporate organization. This major is also directed at students who wish to pursue a Masters in Business Administration.
The competencies achieved in the Business Administration major are the ability to:
- Analyze, within the context of the environment within which a for-profit organization operates, complex business problems, and apply appropriate techniques to solve these problems
- Evaluate and understand complex ethical issues and develop appropriate policies to address these
- Conduct quantitative analysis and research appropriate for the management of for-profit organizations
- Understand and apply management principles and skills, including leadership and interpersonal communication, to engage in effective group work
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Use accounting data to make effective financial and operating decisions
- Manage operations efficiently in the production of goods and/or services.
The course sequence for a major in business administration is as follows:
- MN 110S Principles of Management and Leadership
MN 271S Principles of Accounting
MN 272S Management Information Systems
- EC 281S Microeconomics
EC 282S Macroeconomics (Micro and Macro may be taken in any sequence)
MN 260M Statistical Methods in Management and Economics
MN 278S Business Law
- MN 220 Quantitative Methods for Management and Economics (prerequisites: statistics, MN 272S, MN 271S, and EC 281S).
IB 369S Principles of Marketing
MN 310 Operations Management
MN 371 Organizational Behavior and Leadership (prerequisites: statistics and MN 110S)
MN 377 Introduction to Business Finance (prerequisites: MN 272S, MN 271S, and one of either EC 281S or 282S) OR
IB 378 Investment Finance (prerequisites: MN 271S and either EC 281S or 282S)
- MN 372 Accounting II
MN 376 Human Resource Management
MN 498 Business Policy and Strategic Management (prerequisite: Senior standing and successful completion of the writing portfolio)
Business Administration majors are required to complete each course with a grade of C- or better. Students who major in business administration may not also major or minor in management.
For course descriptions, see Management, Economics, and International Business.