We Have Answers


What degrees are offered at Eckerd College?

Eckerd College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) degrees. The American Chemical Society certifies Eckerd's BS degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry.

A complete list of the major and minor undergraduate programs offered at Eckerd is available on the Academics page. Eckerd does not offer graduate level programs.

What is a liberal arts undergraduate degree?

Liberal arts (abbreviated for liberal arts and sciences) is a program that emphasizes critical thinking, analysis, and communication skills throughout a student’s program. Students in the liberal arts and sciences may major in any subject and will be provided with opportunities to further develop written and oral communication skills, an ability to analyze and synthesize information, and to think and respond critically to issues in their field. Students who attend liberal arts colleges will take many courses outside their major to broaden their education and encourage cross-disciplinary answers to complex questions. A liberal arts degree is excellent preparation for both career aspirations and advanced study in graduate school.

Am I an international student?

Students who do not hold US Citizenship or who do not hold a green card are considered international students. If you have dual citizenship with the United States and another country or if you are a US national studying in another country, you are considered a domestic student for application, admission and financial aid purposes.

Can I study intensive English at Eckerd?

If you are interested in studying intensive English for academic or business purposes, please refer to information on the ELS program on our campus. Eckerd does not offer remedial English language courses for international students. All students enrolled in the college will have met our English language requirements prior to admission.

Does Eckerd have international student advisors?

Yes, once a student enrolls at Eckerd College, s/he will work closely with Olivier Debure, the Director of International Student Programs.

How do I get to Eckerd College?

Most major airlines serve Tampa International Airport, which is easily accessible by highway (I-275), about 20 miles from the campus. The St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is about fifteen minutes from campus, but serves a limited number of airlines. Transportation is easy from both, but Tampa International Airport is recommended. Detailed directions to campus are available on the Directions & Map page.


Do I need to know what I want to major in before I arrive on campus? What if I change my major?

You do not need to know your major before arriving. You work closely with your faculty mentor to build an academic plan that matches your interests. You work with your mentor all four years to decide on a major, select courses, investigate opportunities in research and internships. If you change your major, your faculty mentor will help you chart the next steps to achieve your academic goals.

Do I need to have health insurance?

Yes, all students are required to have health insurance at Eckerd College. Full-time students are covered by the Basic Accident Benefit at no charge; this coverage is in effect for the 9-month academic year.

All full-time students are automatically enrolled in the Hard Waiver Accident & Sickness Plan (International Students: $575 - subject to change) and can only waive out the coverage by providing evidence of comparable coverage. The Hard Waiver Plan expands the accident and sickness benefits to 12-months; the cost of the Hard Waiver Plan is billed to the students account.

Specific information about Health Insurance can be found on the Bursars website.

Is housing guaranteed?

Yes, Eckerd guarantees housing for all years of a student's study at Eckerd College.

Is the campus safe?

Yes, Eckerd College is located in a residential area with a staffed main entrance to limit access to campus. A large portion of the campus is surrounded by water and there is a full-time campus security staff to keep students safe. Additional information can be found on the Campus Safety and Security page.

What is the campus plan for inclement weather?

The Eckerd College Emergency Management Group has emergency plans and maintains a website with detailed information. Throughout the tropical storm season, which officially runs from June 1 to November 30, Eckerd maintains this site as a service to the members of our community. We invite students, faculty, staff, trustees, and their families to use this site as a resource for planning and information. Information about storm preparations, College closure and re-opening, cancellations and rescheduling, evacuations, and other storm-related matters are posted on this site. Tropical Weather site.


Do I need to take the TOEFL if English is my native language?

No, if English is your first language or you have been enrolled in an English-taught (or bilingual) program for the last three years of secondary school/high school, you do not need to submit TOEFL, but you should submit a graded essay in English of at least 3,000 words.

Do I need to take the SAT or ACT?

No. International students are not required to take the SAT or ACT. If English is not your first language or you have not been in an English-taught (or bilingual program) for secondary school, you are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. If English is your first language or you have been in an English-taught (or bilingual) program for secondary school, you must submit a graded essay in English of at least 3,000 words. All students who plan to participate in varsity athletics are required to take the SAT for NCAA eligibility.

Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS for admission?

If English is not your first language or you have not been enrolled in an English-taught (or bilingual) program for secondary school, you must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score for admission.

What is your TOEFL/IELTS requirement?

To meet Eckerd’s English proficiency requirements, you must have:
  • TOEFL score of at least 213 computer-based or 550 written examination or 79 internet-based, OR
  • IELTS overall band score of 6.5 or higher, OR
  • Official Certificate of Completion of ELS Intensive English Level 112 at an ELS Language Center

Please note that students who score a minimum of 550 on the Critical Reading section of the SAT are exempt from taking the TOEFL.

Do I have to take the SAT II?

No, Eckerd does not require SAT II tests for admission.


How do I apply for admission?

Before completing your application it is recommended that you read through the process and required documents first. You can apply online using the Eckerd Application or the Common Application. Please refer to the admission pages for International Students for more details.

How soon will I know whether or not I have been accepted? How will I be notified?

You will be notified within 3 weeks of receipt of your completed application (including all supporting documents) of your admission decision. Your admission decision will be sent to you in a PDF file to the email address you give us upon application, and a paper copy of this letter will be mailed to you shortly after.

What are your deadlines?

There are two ways to apply to Eckerd – Early Action and Rolling.

Early Action
Early Action at Eckerd allows students the opportunity to submit their application early and receive an early decision. All students who submit their completed application and supporting materials postmarked by November 15 will be considered in our Early Action pool. Early Action admission decisions will be mailed by December 15. An Early Action application is non-binding, allowing students to submit applications to other colleges and does not require an enrollment deposit from the student until May 1.

Rolling Admission
Starting December 1st, Eckerd will begin reviewing applications submitted in the Rolling Admission pool. We will review and return decisions as applications become completed. We typically return a decision for our rolling applications within 4 weeks of a completed application. Rolling Admission allows students to submit applications to other colleges and does not require an enrollment deposit from the student until May 1. There is no deadline for Rolling Admission but we recommend you complete your application at least three months in advance of the term you plan to attend to give adequate time to process your paperwork.

Can a student enroll mid-year?

Students may apply for a January start date (Winter Term).

How do I confirm that I plan to attend Eckerd?

Information on confirming your attendance at Eckerd will be sent in your admission packet. Students are required to submit a US$400 deposit to secure their position. You will be given a web link in your admission letter that details how to make your deposit online. You can also submit your deposit via wire transfer, check in US dollars, or by credit card over the phone.

Do all documents need to be submitted at the same time?

No. Eckerd will hold materials for you until your file becomes complete.

What is an official document? What is the Official Bank Statement?

Official documents are generally sealed original records of a student’s secondary school record (transcript) and test scores. An Official Bank Statement is required of international students seeking admission. Students should submit either a copy of the latest family bank statement showing what funds are available for a student’s study at Eckerd or a letter on bank letterhead should be provided that details the amount a family can contribute to a student’s Eckerd education.

Can I submit photocopies of my documents?

Photocopies of documents are discouraged. We can make a preliminary review of your application with photocopies but must receive original documents before we can release a decision and/or I-20.

Will your office understand the grading scale/transcript from my current/former school?

Yes, Eckerd reviews hundreds of applications each year from students at a variety of institutions.

Does Eckerd offer conditional admission?

Eckerd offers conditional admission to students who meet all requirements except the demonstration of English proficiency. If you meet all other requirements, Eckerd will offer you a conditional admission with the condition that you provide proof of English proficiency before we are able to offer you a full admission, potential scholarship, and I-20 for your studies.


What should I do if I am an international student transferring from another college or university in the United States?

A student holding a SEVIS I-20 issued by another institution will have to file a Transfer-Out Form. This form is to be filled out by both the student and the International Student Advisor in order to have the student's SEVIS I-20 number released to Eckerd College. If the student's visa has expired the student must re-apply for a student visa. Please note that students transferring from one institution to another will not be required to pay the US$200 SEVIS processing fee (I-901).

You will also need to submit a Dean’s Report from your current institution, transcript of all college work attempted, and a letter of recommendation. You may request a preliminary evaluation of your transfer credit online.

Can international university/college credits transfer?

Each applicant's file will be reviewed on an individual basis and the registrar may award credit for previous international university/college work.


How much money will I need?

The cost of attendance for one year of study at Eckerd College is $47,506, broken down as follows:

Estimated Annual Expenses*
Tuition and fees for 2 semesters $37,046
Room $5,106
Board $5,038
Total Cost paid to Eckerd $47,506

We also estimate you will need an additional $5,590 in other expenses, broken down as follows:

Personal Expenses $1,440
Transportation $1,650
Books $1,200
Health Insurance $1,300

Do you offer scholarships? How do I apply for scholarships?

Currently, Eckerd College offers up to US$12,000 in International Student Grant and up to $2,000 in work-earned monies at the point of admission. All admitted students are considered for these scholarships based on the application for admission. No additional application is required.

Am I eligible for an athletic scholarship?

Athletic scholarships are awarded through the Athletics Department. Please contact the appropriate coach to discuss athletic opportunities at Eckerd.


How do I get my F1/Student Visa?

Eckerd College will provide accepted international applicants with a SEVIS I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students). Applicants for student visas should generally apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that holds jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. In addition to a SEVIS I-20, you will need the following documents: Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses at Eckerd College, a valid passport, Form DS-158 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application), Photographs, and Applicable fees. Applying for a student visa is a lengthy process and this should be taken under consideration when deciding when to apply for admission to Eckerd College.

*Please be advised there is now a US$200 SEVIS processing fee (I-901). This fee will be paid directly to the Department of Homeland Security and NOT to Eckerd College. Payment can be submitted by mail, paid online at www.FMJfee.com or through Western Union. Please visit www.ice.gov for more information on this new fee.

Useful websites: www.unitedstatesvisas.gov, www.usembassy.gov, www.travel.state.gov.

Can I work off campus on my student visa?

Students with F1 visas are not allowed to hold off campus jobs their first year unless permission is granted by the INS. Students are able to work off campus after the first year of study. Please inquire further with Director of International Programs.

Can I work on campus on my student visa?

Yes, limited opportunities are available for a student to work on campus through Work Study or Student Assistance. Please inquire with Career Services once you arrive on campus about these opportunities.

What is an I-20?

An I-20 form is the official government document which certifies, on behalf of Eckerd College, that a person is eligible to apply for an F-1 student visa. The I-20 issued once students are accepted to our program and is then used to apply for an F-1 visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Details about the I-20 and F-1 Student Visa process will be enclosed with your admission letter.

How do I get an I-20? When will I receive my I-20?

Eckerd issues an I-20 after a student has submitted their US$400 deposit confirming their attendance at Eckerd College. You will receive your I-20 via UPS, FedEx, or other courier service.

What is an F-1 Student Visa?

The F1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows international students to enter the U.S. with the intent to study full-time at a college, university, or ELS program.

Who will be my contact person in the Admission Office if I have other questions?

You will work directly with Dilek Aksu, our Coordinator of International Admission. You may contact her by email (aksud@eckerd.edu) or by phone +1-727-864-8032.

Accepted? Congrats!

See what's next

Apply Now - Apply Online
See Us On the Road

Fall Open House