Honor Pledge and a Shared Commitment
Upon entering Eckerd College, every student is asked to sign a promise to uphold the Honor Pledge and the Shared Commitment.
On my honor, as an Eckerd College student, I pledge not to lie, cheat, or steal, nor to tolerate these behaviors in others.
The choice to join the community of scholars of Eckerd College commits each student to the values embodied in the mission and objectives of this church-related college of liberal arts and sciences. Inherent in this commitment is the responsibility:
- To use one's abilities and opportunities to pursue personal and academic growth and excellence.
- To exercise respect for human dignity in attitudes and relationships.
- To conduct oneself with integrity in academic work and as a citizen of the college community.
- To respect the rights and property of other students and their need for an environment conducive to scholarly work.
- To respect the rights and property of Eckerd College and to protect its reputation as a college of distinction with a student body of high quality.
- To respect and learn from human differences and the diversity of ideas and opinions.
- To seek out opportunity to prepare for a life of leadership and service.
Each student's commitment to these ideals obligates that student to abide by college regulations and to work with others to prevent the following behaviors that threaten the freedom and respect that members of the Eckerd community enjoy:
- Academic dishonesty
- Chronic interference with the right to study
- Willful destruction of property
- Personal violence
- Disruptive intoxication
Thus all students share a commitment to excellence and to the creation of a college community in which they can take pride.