Office of the President
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
local: (727) 864-8211
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
fax: (727) 864-1877
Reception of the Class
James J. Annarelli, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students
It is my pleasure and my honor to receive you as the newest members of the Eckerd College family. From its inception, Eckerd was envisioned as a college unlike any other. Its uniqueness is a product of our founders' desire to combine an unwavering commitment to the traditional liberal arts and sciences with an openness to educational innovation. Enduring aspects of the founders' vision will shape your education here -
- An emphasis on the central role of the mentor-student relationship,
- The importance attributed to the study of the ethical and spiritual dimensions of human existence,
- An openness to interdisciplinary scholarship,
- A conviction that significant learning takes place both within the classroom and beyond it through internships, service-learning, and study abroad, and
- A uniquely personal approach to campus and residential life.
In joining us, then, you are joining a very special kind of living and learning community, and you will have the opportunity to shape the future of this community in meaningful ways.
This Ceremony of Lights, which has become an important tradition of the College, expresses through symbolic language and actions the transition that is taking place in your lives at this very moment. Because of your prior achievements, you have reached a personal and educational milestone: You have earned a place in this community of learning.
Congratulations and welcome to the Eckerd College family!