The Eckerd Edge
Enhancing the Classroom Experience
The Eckerd Edge is a program designed to enhance the classroom experience through resources and programs that enrich students' learning while preparing them for a changing world.
Eckerd College is committed to having every full-time residential student complete the baccalaureate degree within four years. Indeed, 97% of Eckerd students who maintain full-time enrollment graduate in four years or less. Students who achieve this goal commit to making satisfactory academic progress each semester, fulfilling College and program requirements, and choosing a major in a timely manner.
The Eckerd Edge
- Every Eckerd student will have the opportunity to complete multiple hands-on learning experiences through service learning, internships, research and collaboration with faculty, or study-abroad.
- Every Eckerd student will have access to the Rahall Communication Lab and The Writing Center, through which the student will develop the critical thinking and oral and written communications skills necessary for a successful life and career.
- Every Eckerd student will benefit from the guidance of a faculty mentor working with professional staff dedicated to the student's success.
- Every Eckerd student considering graduate school will have the direction and support of the Faculty Graduate School and Fellowship Advisor and of the Career Services staff. Faculty and staff members also provide students with personalized
- letters of recommendation.
- Every Eckerd graduate will have access throughout his or her life, at no charge, to the resources available through the Career Services program.
If a student is not offered employment or accepted to graduate school within six months of graduation,
- The student will have auditing access to four courses on a space- available basis, without charge. These courses must be completed within two years of graduating from Eckerd.
- The student will have access to an intensive, one-on-one analysis of skills and abilities, customized to market demands and personal interest, with a Career Services professional.
*To fulfill this promise, the student must maintain an overall grade point average of 3.0 or above, must never be on disciplinary or housing probation during his or her enrollment at Eckerd College, and must make satisfactory academic progress as a full-time student.
Of our 2009 graduates, 74% are working, 30% are in graduate school, and some are doing both.