- Area Information
- Meet the Staff
- ELS Homestay Program
- About Eckerd College
- TEFL Certification
ELS Language Center at Eckerd College
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
local: (727) 864-7820
toll-free: (800) 456-9009, ext. 7820
ELS Homestay Program
Helen Freiday, Homestay Coordinator
local: (727) 864-8682
toll-free: (800) 456-9009, ext. 8682
Eckerd College - ELS Homestay Program
Learning English While Living with an American Family
Since 1977 Eckerd College has been providing ELS students Homestay experiences with American host families.
What are the advantages of being an International Homestay student?
- Added opportunities to learn about American culture and language
- Form lifelong friendships with an American family
What are the advantages of hosting International students?
- Learn about other countries, cultures and languages! Hear and share stories, and develop memories you can cherish for a lifetime
- Be an ambassador for your community! Share your home and community with an international student and learn more about the student’s everyday life at home
- Make lifelong friends from around the world!
What are the Homestay program requirements?
- Kindness. A warm welcome into the home will be the first step towards a great experience for both the family and the student.
- Acceptance. Students coming to learn English need to feel welcomed. Students should be made to feel as though they are part of the family.
- Comfort. A quiet, comfortable place in the home. Students require a private, furnished bedroom with a bed, linens, and a closet or dresser. Bathrooms may be shared.
- Engage. Boost the student’s confidence by inviting him or her to participate in daily activities.
- Meals. Hosts provide two meals per day—breakfast and dinner. Breakfast can be continental style. A sit-down dinner five to seven nights per week is required. Dinner is a wonderful opportunity to get to know your student.
- Transportation. Students are required transportation to and from Eckerd College for their English language courses.
- Wireless Internet. Students need the opportunity to stay connected and access the internet wirelessly while at home.
- Laundry. Students are required access to laundry facilities, and assistance using the machines.
Who are our host families?
- All host families are known to us. They come by way of referrals.
- They are Eckerd College faculty, staff and members of our greater community.
Enrich your stay in the U.S. by enrolling in our Homestay program and live with an American family.
To learn more, contact Helen Freiday, Homestay Coordinator, 727-864-8682 or email firstname.lastname@example.org