The Eckerd College Recycling Program is run by students and coordinated through the Office of Sustainability. This hands-on approach to recycling allows students to learn about the process through active participation. Currently the recycling program offers a full range of collection services to the residential and academic sides of campus. There are two shifts per day, ten total per week: 1:00 to 3:00 PM and 3:00 to 5:00 PM.
History and Overview of Program
Over the last decade Eckerd’s recycling program has evolved from humble beginnings into a successful program. Demand for recycling, supported by the initiative and hard work of many students over the years, along with help from college staff have made this program a success.
- 2002: The recycling program was started up as a student club.
- 2005: A dedicated recycling truck was purchased along with additional bins.
- 2006: The Environmental Service-learning Intern became the facilitator for the program.
- 2012: The Sustainability Fellow began to coordinate the program.
- 2012: A 6-seater golf cart and trailer were purchased to increase weekly collections and overall efficiency.
- 2012: A shift towards upright recycling bins with lids began to take place for the residential side of campus.
The recycling center is located by the waterfront, across from the tennis courts. We ask that the items you deposit at the center can be processed by our facility and are left in a clean and orderly fashion. Keep in mind that students do sort these items and would appreciate your care and consideration. Please do not leave electronics or other environmentally hazardous material at the center. Please contact Evan Bollier if you have electronics that need to be picked up and recycled.
Recycling Assistants and Recycling Coordinators
An integral aspect of the recycling program is our dedicated recycling team. The Recycling Coordinators lead various shifts and make the program run smoothly. The Recycling Assistants are students who do recycling as their work study position. These individuals work together to make the program a success. If you are interested in joining our recycling team please contact the Sustainability Fellow, Evan Bollier. We are always interested in expanding our recycling team with enthusiastic individuals.
Schedule for 2012-13 Academic Year