New Student FAQ

Q: How does the laundry system work?
A: There are laundry facilities located in each complex. Each laundry facility includes several washers and dryers which operate by coin slots and card readers. Only Visa and Mastercard credit/debit cards work on the card readers, AmericanExpress or Discover cards will not work. The cost is $1 to wash and $1 to dry. There are 3 change machines located on campus: The Pub, the Delta Complex Lounge, and the CEC West Lodge Lobby.

Q: Does the college provide housekeeping?
A: Yes. Our housekeeping staff is responsible for the general cleaning of the common areas in the dorms, including bathrooms, hallways, water fountains, complex lounges and courtyards. They provide toilet tissue for the bathrooms and take out the garbage. They are not responsible for the cleanliness of the students rooms or picking up dishes, personal items, pet waste, emesis, etc., left in the bathrooms or common areas. Students may be charged Excessive Cleaning fees for anything above and beyond the housekeepers regular responsibilities.

If you live in the Sigma, West Lodge, Nu or Omega complexes (which all have private bathrooms) the Housekeeping staff is still responsible for cleaning the bathrooms and providing toilet tissue, however they are not responsible for any other part of the students room or personal items.

Q: What is included in a traditional dorm room?
A: The traditional dorm room includes two twin size beds with extra long mattresses, dressers, desks, desk chairs, and closets. For room layouts and photos visit the Traditional Rooms section of the Housing site.

Q: Are the traditional dorms coed?
A: Each coed house has two floors and is gender divided by floor, males are one floor and females are on the other. There are no coed bedrooms or bathrooms.

Q: How are the bathrooms set up?
A: The bathrooms have 3 to 4 toilet stalls, 3 to 4 shower stalls, and 3 to 4 sinks, shared by the residents of that floor. They are maintained by DTZ facilities management housekeeping staff.

Q: What if my roommate and I can't get along?
A: Please refer to Room Change Procedures. If a problem should arise between roommates both students will need to meet with their Resident Advisor to help resolve the problem.

Q: What are the complex common areas like?
A: The complex common areas include a TV, either a ping pong table or a pool table, and a computer. There is also a small kitchenette in each complex for those students who would like to make a meal on their own.

Q: Where are the places to eat on campus?
A: There are three locations for students to eat on campus. Café Bon Appétit is the main place to eat on campus. The menu here is varied and you will find that about half the dishes at any given time are vegetarian. If you are on the north end of campus, the CEC Dining Cafeteria offers three meals a day with a limited menu. Triton's Pub sports a cafe, a student lounge, pool tables, arcade games, and internet access. Triton's Pub is the ideal location for eating fresh, made-to-order meals with friends.

Q:Are there full time staff members living on campus?
A: Yes, we have two Resident Coordinators living on campus that are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week in case an emergency that warrants their assistance arises.

Q: Where is Campus Safety located?
A: Campus Safety is located in Brown Hall. Officers are often seen patrolling campus and helping students. For more information visit Campus Safety.

Q: Do all the rooms have Internet access?
A: Every residence hall room has Internet access. More information about computing and the campus network is available through Information Technology Services.

Q: Do all the rooms have phone access?
A: Every residence hall room is equipped with a phone jack. Phone service can be obtained through Bright House Networks. More information can be found here. The College provides one (1) phone per floor per house for emergencies.

Q: Do all rooms have cable service?
A: While Eckerd provides basic cable as a standard service, students are now able to order Premium Digital Cable, Digital Phone, High Speed Internet and more directly from Bright House Networks - all at a discounted student rate.

Pet Life

Pet Life

Eckerd College is unique in allowing resident students to have pets on campus.

Beta, Delta and Zeta Lounge Renovations

Zeta Lounge

With the success of the recently renovated Zeta Lounge, the lounges of the Beta and Delta complexes have also been renovated, featuring an enhanced kitchen area, flat screen TV with surround sound and ample study and meeting space along with new couches, chairs and barstool seating.