- Employment Opportunities
- Policies & Procedures
- Professional Development
- Staff Council
- Health and Wellness Home
- Contact Us
Franklin Templeton Building
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
phone: (727) 864-8332
fax: (727) 864-7559
Policies and Procedures
Short Term Disability (STD)
The purpose of STD is to allow eligible employees the ability to receive a percentage of their salary should they become totally or partially disabled while insured, as determined by the carrier. This benefit is provided by the College at no cost to its employees.
Generally, STD interacts concurrently with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The Office of Human Resources ensures that the provisions of these two policies are met and are administered appropriately.
The following is a summary of available STD benefits. If there is any ambiguity or conflict between this policy and the terms of the STD plan, the STD plan language controls.
- All full-time non-faculty employees scheduled to work at least thirty (30) hours per week are entitled to STD insurance upon employment.
- Employee's purpose for needing to utilize STD insurance must be for at least one of the following reasons:
- Totally disabled due to an injury or sickness that is not work related including but not limited to pregnancy.
- Partially disabled within fourteen (14) days due to the same injury or sickness that caused initial total disability; and
- Under the regular and continuing care of a Physician that provides appropriate treatment by means of examination and testing in accordance with your disabling condition.
Notice of STD Claim
The usage of STD insurance should be requested with Human Resources and your Supervisor at least thirty (30) days in advance when the disability is foreseen or as soon as possible when unforeseen.
Once STD insurance benefits are requested employee will receive a STD claim packet of information which will include the Employee Statement and the Health Care Provider Statement. The employee is required to complete the Employee Statement and have his/her treating Physician complete the Health Care Provider Statement, upon completion employee must mail these two forms to the carrier using the address provided.
Duration of Paid Benefits
STD will pay a maximum of twenty-four (24) weeks of benefits at sixty (60) percent of salary up to a maximum weekly benefit of twelve hundred (1,200) dollars.
Benefits become payable on the latter of the sixteenth (16) day of disability or the day following payment of the last day of used sick leave.
Weekly STD benefits will discontinue on the earliest of:
- The date the employee is no longer totally or partially disabled;
- The end of the employee's maximum benefit period;
- The date the employee does not provide proof that they continue to be totally or partially disabled, as requested by the carrier.
- The date the employee's partial disability earnings are more than eighty (80) percent of the employee's total weekly earnings
- The date the carrier determines that the employee is able to perform all the substantial duties of his/her occupation, even if the employee chooses not to work.
Maintaining Insurance Benefits
Once paid leave has been exhausted and employee is no longer in a pay status from Eckerd, employee becomes responsible for making timely payments of premiums for insurance benefits (health, dental, life, etc.). Human Resources will discuss the arrangements for payment with the employee at the onset of disability leave and confirm in writing using the Response to Request for Leave form.
- Employment Practices
- Salary, Wages & Hours
- Leaves, Holidays & Vacations
- Termination of Employment
- Tenure Policy
- Employee Communication Procedure
- Emergency Operations
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policy