Our students head out across the globe every Winter Term. We hope you’ll be one of them!
- Complete the Winter Term application.
- Print out the Winter Term Agreement and get both your mentor and faculty leader to sign it; return this signed document to the International Education office, Seibert Humanities Building, Room 100. You will receive a link to this agreement upon completion of step 1.
- A copy of your passport must be submitted to the International Education office with the signed document. If you do NOT have a passport APPLY FOR ONE IMMEDIATELY.
- Check your passport expiration date today. Make certain it does not expire before August 1, 2016.
- Complete the Dean’s Certification of Conduct form.
- Print out the Statement of Student Responsibility to be signed and returned to the International Education office with the Winter Term Agreement.
- Pay the $500 non-refundable deposit to the Cashier.
- Bring the receipt to the International Education office.
- The deposit will be applied to the total program cost and will be returned to you only if Eckerd College cancels the program or if you are not selected to participate. Payment of the $500 deposit constitutes your commitment to the trip and will allow us to begin making definite arrangements for the program.
Short Term Travel Scholarship
Because an international education experience is a key feature of an Eckerd College education, we offer winter term travel scholarships each year. These scholarships are awarded based on student financial need, and preference may be given to students who have not previously studied abroad. While winter term travel scholarships rarely cover the entire travel costs of a program, they are sufficient to defray a portion of the cost.
It is not necessary to apply for this scholarship in order to apply for the Winter Term program. Applying for this scholarship does not apply a student for the Winter Term program. Receiving a scholarship does not guarantee a student acceptance into the Winter Term program. The application process for a winter term program is separate from the scholarship application.
Program costs include the cost of one bag where applicable. Participants are responsible for any baggage charges incurred thereafter for extra baggage and/or weight. Exact quotes will be furnished to you when the itinerary is confirmed and the final number of participants is known. Every effort will be made to insure that the overall program cost will not significantly vary from the estimated price quoted in this publication.
Winter Term TUITION is NOT INCLUDED in the program cost. The Winter Term program cost will be billed to your student account at the beginning of the spring semester. A non-refundable deposit of $500, which will be applied to the total cost of the program, is required with your application.
In most cases, program costs include the following:
- Round-trip airfare from Tampa
- Transfers between airport and hotel
- Accommodations with breakfast
- Supplementary food allowance
- International Student Identity Card
- Designated entertainment expenses
- Admissions and entrance fees
- Other costs included as part of the program design
Items typically not included are:
- Excess baggage charges
- Transportation to/from the point of departure
- Food and housing required before departure and after return
- Personal expenses and travel costs during free weekends
- Travel visas (for holders of non-US passports)
- Medical coverage
- Souvenirs, tips and porters, etc.
There may be exceptions to the above, so check with International Education for specifics.
Should an accident, illness, or emergency prevent your participation in the program, notify International Education immediately.
Appropriate documentation will be required to support your reasons for withdrawing and cancellations must be made in writing
Every effort will be made to recoup as much of the program cost as possible; however, you will be liable for any charges incurred on your behalf that have effected the entire program and for any airline tickets purchased on your behalf. This includes any cancellation penalties incurred by Eckerd College through agencies hired by Eckerd to plan and/or implement these programs.
Dates & Deadlines
Application for Short Term Travel Scholarships begins
9 a.m., Monday, August 31, 2015
Application for Winter Term begins
9 a.m., Monday, August 31, 2015
Deadline for Short Term Travel Scholarship application
5 p.m., Thursday, September 10, 2015
Notification of potential short term travel scholarship awards made via email
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Award recipients must accept funds in writing no later than
5 p.m., Thursday, October 1, 2015
Passport and Visas
When traveling abroad you must have a valid, current passport. The expiration date should exceed your return by at least six (6) months (August 1, 2016). You may not use a passport that expires within six months of the end date of your study abroad program. This applies to short terms and to semester programs. Please check to make certain that your passport does not expire prior to August 1, 2016, if you are planning to participate in a winter term program this year.
If you do not have a passport, you must apply as soon as you receive confirmation of acceptance into the program. Normally, the process takes 4-6 weeks; however, in peak travel seasons it may take twice as long. Apply early to ensure receipt of your passport in case it is needed for a visa application. It is your responsibility to track the status of your passport application at all times. If you have not received your passport within a minimum of one month of the departure date, you risk losing your place in the program. If you fail to do this no funds will be returned to you. A copy of your passport must be furnished to International Education with the signed faculty leader/mentor document.
Passport application forms for both new applicants and renewals are available online, or at the Office of the County Clerk at:
Judicial Building, 1st Floor
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Check with the appropriate authorities to determine if a visa or other documentation is required to enter another country from the U.S. Our office will furnish a letter to confirm your participation in a study abroad program. It is your responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa.
Passport/Visa photographs are now available in the Office of International Education on Wednesdays and Fridays between 2-3 p.m. The charge is $5.00 for 2 passport photos. This is a fast and convenient way for students to obtain passport photos to expedite the application process for passports, visas, and ISIC cards.
As of June 25, 2015, these passport fees are in place. Fees for adults (age 16 and over) for first-time passports are $135 using Form DS-11. Fees for renewals using Form DS-82 are $110. You may also apply for a passport card at an additional cost.