- Research Tools
- Library Information
- Faculty Services
- Friends of the Library
Ask a Librarian
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
local: (727) 864-8337
- Bloomsbury Guide to Art
- Century of Ceramics in the United States, 1878-1978
Call Number: NK 4007 C56 1979
- Contemporary Artists
Call Number: N 6490 .C6567
- Dictionary of Art
Call Number: N 31 .D5 1996
- Dictionary of Photography and Digital Imaging
Call Number: TR 9 A53 2002
- Dictionary of Women Artists
Call Number: N 8354 .D53 1997
- Encyclopedia of American Folk Art
- Encyclopedia of Design
Call Number: NK 1160 .E5
- Encyclopedia of World Art
Call Number: N 31 .E562
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art and Architecture
Call Number: N 5610 .G76 2007
- Guide to the Literature of Art History
Call Number: N 380 .M374 2005
- An Illustrated Dictionary of Ceramics
Call Number: NK 3770 .S38 1974
- Penguin Dictionary of Decorative Arts
Call Number: NK 30 .F55 1989
- Photography Encyclopedia
Call Number: TR 9 .M39 1999
- The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Art and Artists
- The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Graphic Design and Designers
- Who's Who in American Art
Access: shelved in the Library's Index area
Coverage: 1957-1985, 2004
Content: hundreds of periodicals in the fields of archaeology, architecture, art history, crafts, graphic arts, industrial design, interior design, landscape architecture, museology, photography, and films are indexed by subject and author. Yearbooks, museum bulletins, and book reviews are also included.
Art Full Text
Access: EBSCOhost, network restricted
Content: Indexing of an international array of peer-selected publications - now with expanded coverage of Latin American, Canadian, Asian and other non-Western art, new artists, contemporary art, exhibition reviews, and feminist criticism. In addition to articles, this database indexes reproductions of works of art that appear in indexed periodicals.
Access: network restricted
Content: ARTstor is a collection of nearly one million digital images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and the social sciences. It includes a set of tools to view, present, and manage images for research and teaching. Once the Digital Library loads, you can take a minute to register for a user account or log in to your existing account for advanced functionality such as downloading images.ARTstor User Guide (PDF)
Bibliography of the History of Art
Content: Hosted by the Getty Research Institute, the BHA is the world's most comprehensive bibliography of scholarly writing about the history of western art.
Fine Arts and Music Collection
Access: InfoTrac, network restricted
Content: Collection of 200 full-text periodicals covers different types of art and expression. It provides broad coverage of the arts from music and music theory to drama and the performing arts. It also provides content in the visual arts and art history.
Humanities Full Text
Access: EBSCOhost, network restricted
Content: Full-text, abstracts, and indexing of the best-known scholarly journals and numerous lesser-known but important specialized magazines in the areas of Art, Classical Studies, Communications, Film, Gender Studies, History, Journalism, Literary & Social Criticism Literature, Music, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Religion and Theology, and more.
Content: A portal to the Metropolitan Museum of Arts publishing program. Beginning with nearly 650 titles published from 1964 to the present, this resource will continue to expand and could eventually offer access to nearly all books, Bulletins, and Journals published by the Metropolitan Museum since the Met's founding in 1870. It will also include online publications.
Content: Wellcome Images provides free access to over 100,000 high resolution images from the Wellcome Library, one of the world's major resources for studying medical history. The collection includes manuscripts, paintings, etchings, early photography and advertisements, all released under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license for anyone to use, with attribution.
Yale Digital Commons
Content: Cross Collection Discovery (CCD) provides a way to search across Yale's collections of art (Yale Peabody Museum, Yale Center for British Art and Yale University Art Gallery), natural history, books, and maps, as well as photos, audio, and video documenting people, places, and events that form part of Yale's institutional identity and contribution to scholarship. The content searchable in CCD will grow as additional University departments make use of the service to share Yale's collections with the Yale community and the world.
Content: Collection of 200,000+ oil paintings from local and national museum collections in the United Kingdom. The site is a joint initiative between the BBC, the Public Catalogue Foundation, and participating museums and collections.
- Ceramics Today: Ceramics Today is a comprehensive independent ceramics site, featuring articles, artist galleries, and links to hundreds of ceramics web sites.
- Clay Art Web Guide: Created by ceramic artist Vicki Hardin, this collection of links is divided into more than 50 categories such as Architectural Ceramics, Ceramic Masters, Crystalline Glazes, Kosai, Polymer, Raku, Terracotta, and more.
- Frick Digital Image Archive: This site enables visitors to browse and download jpegs of large format digital files created through project supported by The National Endowment for the Humanities and The Henry Luce Foundation. Future online collections include related photoarchive images and documentation, book materials, Frick Collection images, and archival documents.
- The History of Art Virtual Library: large collection of links arranged by image collections, art history resources, alphabetical subject lists, and academic departments.
- National Museum of American Art: images and information from the Smithsonian's collection of American art.
- Photonotes.org: Photography community site with a dictionary, forum, articles, and reviews.
- A Timeline of Art History: presented by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the timeline covers art from 8000 B.C. through present.