- Research Tools
- Library Information
- Faculty Services
- Friends of the Library
Ask a Librarian
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
local: (727) 864-8337
- American Environmental Activists
Call Number: GE 55 B43 2000
- Atlas of Global Change
Call Number: GE 149 G4813 1998
- Atlas of U.S. and Canadian Environmental History
Call Number: GF 503 A84 2003
- A Dictionary of Ecology
- A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation
- Encyclopedia of Ecotourism
Call Number: GE 156.5 E26 2001
- Encyclopedia of World Environmental History
Call Number: GF 10 E63 2004
- Environmental Encyclopedia
Call Number: GE 10 E38 2003
- Environmental Movement
Call Number: GE 197 G76 1994
- Great Events From History II: Ecology and Environment
Call Number: GE 150 G72 1995
- The Oxford Companion to the Earth
Coverage: 15th century-present
Content: Citation index for National Agriculture Library. Contains limited full-text materials that include animal and veterinary sciences, entomology, plant sciences, aquaculture and fisheries, food and human nutrition, and earth and environmental sciences.
Access: Network restricted
Content: Abstracts for over 1000 titles in the area of environmental policy and studies. Over 500 titles have ongoing coverage. The product has an Environment thesaurus that will assist users in research.
Environmental Studies and Policy Collection
Access: InfoTrac, network restricted
Content: Collection of nearly 200 journals providing robust coverage of environmental issues and policies, including diverse perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policy makers, as well as corporate interests.
Coverage: varies by title
Content: Indexing and abstracts for over 600 general and scholarly titles, "focusing on the relationship between human beings and the environment, on topics ranging from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and beyond"
JoVE - Journal of Visualized Experiments
Access: Network restricted
Coverage: 2006 to current
Content: The Journal of Visualized Experiments is the world's first peer-reviewed scientific video journal. View dynamic presentations of methods, data analyses, and results to learn new experimental techniques and improve reproducibility. Articles are published in the fields of biology, medicine, chemistry, and physical sciences.
Access: Network restricted
Coverage: Varies by title
Content: Full-text Ecology and Evolutionary Biology journals include: American Naturalist, Biotropica, Conservation Biology, Ecological Applications, Ecology, Estuaries, Evolution, Journal of Applied Ecology, Journal of Ecology, Oikos, and many more.
Science in Context
Access: Gale, Network Restricted.
Content: Includes Gale's authoritative reference content with full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, experiments, images, videos, audio files and links for contextual information on hundreds of today's most significant science topics
Social Sciences Full Text
Access: EBSCOhost, network restricted
Content: Full-text, abstracts, and indexing of articles in a wide range of interdisciplinary fields covered in a broad array of social sciences journals. Subjects include Anthropology, Criminal Justice, International Relations, Political Science, Psychology and more.
- Animal Info (Information on rare, threatened and endangered mammals.)
- Aquatic Plant Information Retrieval System Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants is University of Florida's database of wetland, aquatic, and invasive plants. Use the left side panel to navigate to the APIRS Database.
- The Center for International Environmental Law ("The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) is a nonprofit organization working to use international law and institutions to protect the environment, promote human health, and ensure a just and sustainable society." Topics include Biodiversity, Chemicals, Climate Change, Human Rights, Trade and Sustainable Development, and more.)
- Eckerd College Plant Trail Tour Faculty member Dr. Teresa Restom Gaskill proposed the creation of a "Plant Trail" walking tour, so visitors to Eckerd could enjoy walking the campus and appreciating the wide variety of plant life that grows at Eckerd.
- The Encyclopedia of Earth ("an electronic reference about the Earth, its natural environments, and their interaction with society. The Encyclopedia is a free, fully searchable collection of articles written by scholars, professionals, educators, and experts who collaborate and review each other's work.")
- Envirofacts Data Warehouse (Search Environmental Protection Agency databases for information on activities that may affect air, water, and land anywhere in the United States)
- Environmental LawNet (created by an environmental lawyer, the site provides links to laws, regulations, court decisions, enforcement and real estate/corporate transactions. Daily news items are also available.)
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (Although the International Union for Conservation of Nature no longer published this data in print, the electronic list provides all of the same information including conservation status, taxonomy, and distribution. Links to image databases are also provided.)
- Science Accelerator(Federated search engine from the U.S. Dept. of Energy retrieves government reports, white papers, proceedings, and patents. Some full text freely available. )
- United Nations Sustainable Development(information and documents related to the many UN programs and task forces in this area.)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency(over 9000 EPA documents are available for viewing and printing.)