- ThinkOutside at Eckerd
- Meet the Staff
- News Media/Advertising
- Request Our Support
- News & Events
Office of Marketing and Communications
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
local: (727) 864-7979
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
fax: (727) 864-8423
What is Merit?
Eckerd College uses Merit software from readMedia to publicize student achievements and activities on campus – like making the dean's list, winning a scholarship or studying abroad. It creates personalized stories about these accomplishments, publishes them online at Merit, and sends a notice to the student, the student's parent(s), and depending on the achievement, to hometown newspapers. This makes sure students get credit for the good work they're doing on campus, which helps with summer jobs, internships, and even job interviews and references after graduation.
All achievements on Merit will be awarded a "badge of approval" to show that they've been verified by Eckerd. On Merit, students can claim their achievement by connecting to Facebook, which allows them to add a photo and share their badge with their social networks.
Why is Merit important for students?
- A Merit profile creates a positive online identity for post-graduation success. 75% of companies research applicants online, and 70% have rejected applicants based on what they found there.
- Merit helps people who make decisions about internships, graduate school, and jobs find the "good stuff" about students. Student accomplishments are recognized with badges that show that they're verified by Eckerd.
What types of accomplishments may be included?
Can other types of accomplishments be included?
- Yes! While we can only include certain official accomplishments through this process, students will have the ability to add other accomplishments to their profile. They will appear in a different part of the profile, under the heading "Added by student" to differentiate them from the Eckerd-approved achievements.
- Involvement in ECOS, registered student clubs, club and intramural sports, on-campus employment, and other achievements can be added by students.
Can you help?
- Yes! If you are in charge of an accomplishment listed above, please notify Tom Scherberger, Director of Media Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The best hometown news releases include multiple students.
- If you have an idea for a formal student accomplishment that is not reflected on the above list, email Tom.