Summer Science Splash Camp 2014
Summer Science Splash is a week-long residential summer camp funded by the II-VI Foundation and hosted by and conducted on the campus of Eckerd College.
During their week at Eckerd College, campers will:
- Work closely with Eckerd College science faculty and certified science teachers from middle and high schools.
- Perform experiments using the same high-tech equipment college students and research scientists use.
This year's theme...
From Thermodynamics to Turbulence:
The Science of Many-Body Systems
Summer Science Splash students will make cold water boil, build chaotic systems, observe flames without burning, and synthesize inorganic molecules. The science of these systems deals with a huge number of particles (“many-body systems”) and is driven by thermodynamics, the study of energy and heat. All of these explorations will take place in a state of the art science building: the James Center for Molecular and Life Sciences.
Lab Activities Include:
- Calorimetry and Phase Changes – Can you really burn calories by drinking ice water?
- Turbulent flow and chaotic systems – What does the "butterfly effect" mean (a butterfly flapping its wings in China is connected to a hurricane in Florida?)?
- Exothermic and endothermic reactions – Chemical reactions with lots of heat and energy (no, we can't burn anything down!)
- Heat Engines and Ideal Gases – What does an expanding balloon have to do with making things move?
During free time enjoy the college's recreational facilities including outdoor Olympic size swimming pool, tennis courts, sand volley court and more. At night, take part in a variety of team activities with new found friends. Between daily experiments and nightly events, work with your team to gain points for prizes.
Student's entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in 2014
Underwritten by a grant from the II-VI Foundation, each session's cost is $270 per student ($1,150 in value). Cost includes participation in all science labs and activities, use of college recreational facilities, meals, lodging, snacks and camp T-shirt.
Few colleges have a more attractive setting than Eckerd College. The 188-acre water front campus provides a magnificent atmosphere and safe environment. Eckerd College is located in St. Petersburg, just off I-275 exit 17. Directions to campus are available here.
Camp counselors supervise students in the late afternoons, evenings and overnight. Staff consists of well-trained Eckerd College students eager to share their enthusiasm for science and team work. Overnight dormitory accommodations will be supervised by trained adult counselors.
Students will live in air-conditioned Eckerd College student residence halls reserved exclusively for Summer Science Splash participants. Counselors will be present in each resident hall.
The cafeteria serves youth-friendly food on a daily basis in the summer and can accommodate allergies and vegetarian diets. If you have particular needs, contact us for more information (Email or 727-864-8058).
Do I have to know a lot about science to attend?
Of course, we don't expect you to already know everything, but we do expect you to be excited and motivated to learn. Campers will be engaged in team competitions. Therefore, they are required to stay for the entire week.