Science Symposium Coordinator
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
local: (727) 864-7713
fax: (727) 864-8423
The Art of Science Photo Contest
New in 2013, the Eckerd College Science Symposium will include a student photo contest with a focus on the artistic aspects of science. A monetary prize will be awarded to the first-place winner in each of three categories:
Lab and Field Science—people and experiences captured in the laboratory, classroom or field;
Microscopy—images taken through a microscope; and
Nature—landscape, water, plants, animals, weather, etc.
The Photo Contest will feature photos showcasing art like this petrographic microscope image of Larvikite (right) taken by Sam Stanchak, a junior geosciences major. After the submission deadline of January 28, all submitted photos will be uploaded to the Eckerd College Science Symposium Art of Science Photo Contest page on Facebook. Winners will be determined based on the photo from each category that receives the most Facebook “likes."
Rules and Entry
- The contest is open only to Eckerd College students.
- There is no limit on the number of photos a student may submit.
- Photos must be unmodified and must have been taken by the participant.
- Entries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach your photo and include your name, class year, major, title/description of the photo, and the category in which it should be entered. Photos should be in JPEG format and at least three megapixels to allow for display at the symposium.
- The deadline to submit photos is Monday, January 28. Photos will be uploaded to Facebook on Tuesday, January 29, and voting will begin. Voting will close on Sunday, February 3 at 11:59 p.m., and all winners will be announced at the Symposium.
The first-place winner in each of the three categories will receive a prize of $100.