- About Us
- Service Programs
- Reflective Service-Learning
- Service Beyond Eckerd
- Service Archive
- Course Building Materials
Acting Director of Service-Learning
Office of Service-Learning
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
09-10 Annual Report
Students at Eckerd donated nearly 74,000 community service hours to the Tampa Bay community and beyond during this past academic year. Students get involved with service through events organized by the Office of Service-Learning, through student clubs, as a class requirement by their professors or because of personal interest. Community service is a way of life for Eckerd students and is an increasingly important part of the ethos of the college. Some highlights:
- Total service hours increased from 69,869 in 2008-2009 to 73,645 for 2009-2010.
- The amount of fundraising by our students this past year increased considerably from $27,643 in year ending 2009 to $53,455 this past year. There is an increasing interest among our students to give to those in need.
- Our spring break programs increased in participant numbers and we expanded to Africa for the first time by doing a service project among the Berber people in Morocco. We also had projects in South America, Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, the US and Florida.
- There was an increase in co-curricular educational events and reflections on service. Service-Learning hosted numerous ?Justice Dinners? where groups of students would enjoy a simple homemade meal (usually a vat of chili or rice & beans) and then have a discussion about service and social justice issues. These events were quite popular.