- About Us
- Service Programs
- Reflective Service-Learning
- Service Beyond Eckerd
- Service Archive
- Course Building Materials
Acting Director of Service-Learning
Office of Service-Learning
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
local: (727) 864-7512
10-11 Annual Report
Service-Learning was an active part of campus life this past academic year. Total service hours maintained a high level of participation at 72,523 total hours for 2010-2011. That's an average of 40 hours donated per student this past academic year. Other highlights include:
- The amount of fundraising maintained a high level this past year with our students giving and organizing fundraisers to the amount of $30,474. A portion of this was our community responding to the spring earthquake in Japan but also that students participating in spring break service projects and service during winter terms demonstrated an increased sense that they should also contribute financially to the agencies they serve. There is an increasing interest among our students to give to those in need.
- Spring break programs increased in participant numbers and we expanded to new locations for service. We had projects in South America, Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, the US and Florida—18 projects in all.
- There was an increase in co-curricular educational events and reflections on service. Service-Learning hosted numerous "Justice Dinners" where groups of students would enjoy a simple homemade meal (usually a vat of chili or rice & beans) and then have a discussion about service and social justice issues. These events were quite popular.
Service remains an important part of the Eckerd experience and should only improve with the implementation of our college-wide Quality Enhancement Plan which focuses on reflective service-learning.