- About Us
- Service Programs
- Reflective Service-Learning
- Service Beyond Eckerd
- Service Archive
- Course Building Materials
Acting Director of Service-Learning
Office of Service-Learning
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
Course Building Materials
Faculty Resources for Reflective Service-Learning
- Faculty Guide
- FAQ on Reflective Service-Learning
- RSL course designation request form
- Independent study proposal with RSL designation
- Expanded description of learning goals & rubrics
The following online resources offer valuable tools to assist in the development of a service-learning course:
Campus Compact provides a database of syllabi contributed by service-learning practitioners in higher education. Browse syllabi by discipline for service-learning project ideas, examples of course structures, or relevant texts to incorporate into your course.
National Service-Learning Clearinghouse offers a search engine to locate syllabi. Filter hundreds of service-learning syllabi by sector, area of service, demographics, or theory and practice.
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health maintains a growing collection of syllabi and course materials for a variety of health related disciplines, including anthropology, psychology, and sociology. On the homepage, click on the service-learning link. On next page select discipline-specific resources, including syllabi, to search service-learning syllabi by discipline.
The Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning is a peer-reviewed journal with submissions written by faculty and service-learning educators for the service-learning community.
Partnerships: A Journal of Service Learning and Community Engagement is a peer-reviewed journal specializing in articles relating to the importance of partnerships among students, faculty, administrators, community agencies, and more as they relate to service-learning.
Community Works Institute publishes a free journal three times a year focused on community engagement within education.
Campus Compact publishes a free quarterly newsletter called Compact Current for organizations and higher education institutions with articles relevant to service-learning.
The National Youth Leadership Council offers free subscription to a monthly electronic newsletter for service-learning practitioners.
Journal for Civic Commitment is a bi-annual online journal that provides research-based and practical information to the service-learning community.
The following articles on reflection, service learning, pedagogical theory, and community partnerships may be useful resources for course development, or may be used as assigned reading for students.
- The ABCs of Reflection (Welch)
- Generating, Deepening, and Documenting Learning (Ash & Clayton)
- Changing Pedagogies (Saltmarsh)
- Shifts in Perspective: Capitalizing on the Counter-Normative Nature of Service-Learning (Ash & Clayton)
- Principles of Good Practice for Service-Learning Pedagogy (Howard)
- Community-Engaged Scholarship through Mutually Transformative Partnerships (Jameson, Clayton, & Jaeger)
- Service-Learning as a Shared Developmental Journey (Whitney, McClure, Respet, & Clayton)