Sundance Film Review: Sound of my Voice

January 29, 2011 : 7:36 pm | by David Font

“Sound of My Voice” is roughly a film about a couple who infiltrate a cult. The man (Peter) played by Christopher Denham and the woman (Lorna) played by Nicole Vicius are trying to film a documentary that will expose the leader of the cult as a fraud. The cult leader is played by Brit Marling, who also co-wrote and produced the film. I’ve now seen Brit in two films that she’s co-wrote, produced, and starred in at Sundance this year. I’m convinced that she’s fantastic and a true inspiration.

I was really impressed by “Sound of My Voice” not for complexity of story or anything like that, in fact it was actually quite simple. The film was about belief and what you would be willing to do see whether or not there was truth in that belief. In the film Peter was faced with the task of proving Brit Marling as a fraud, but what ensues is a psychological maelstrom that nobody sees coming. Well what I really liked about this film was of course the acting. Everyone did a very fine job and I’m convinced that Brit Marling is definitely going places after this and “Another Earth”.

It was said at the Q&A that Brit Marling and director Zal Batmanglij are planning to turn this story into a trilogy. This sounds like a great idea to me, but on the other hand it makes writing a review for “Sound of my Voice” very difficult. How do I express my opinion on an incomplete work? I walked away very pleased with the film, it was interesting and artistically done, I really hope that they create another film or two based on these characters.

Tags: , , ,