Dear Park City

January 30, 2011 : 6:44 am | by Kate Oglesby

I am here to apologize and thank you all at the same time. In many ways I wish we met in different conditions or better yet had more days together. Like a great friend you introduced me to great food, people and places to shop. Yet I want to thank you for allowing me to have the days I did have with you, and for providing me with another town that feels like home. I will miss you but you will have provided with the backdrop for some of my greatest memories.

As freshmen in college there is some gloating to go around. Not many kids get the chance to travel so far from home the first year they are away from home. Park City you gave me memories to look back on in happiness through the long school years to come. You gave to me people who were so kind to me; there was Will and Corbin, who always greeted me when their fingers were not strumming across their piano. Then in the lines there were the countless people who talked to me when I was all by myself. Larry, the bus driver, was another person that was given to me that was so willing to point me in the right direction. All these people, locals, transcendent locals and even passing travelers, Park City, you handed to me. Though that is not all that you gave me.

At the end of the last night here I must tell you that as a town you handed over a place that made me feel like it was home. There were countless shops that were places I have been trying to find for years. Then in those shops were various items that I been wanting for several years. How could you have known and been so perfect? Food was one other thing that was given to me by your streets. I ate my first sushi in your restaurants and you made me fall head over heels for it. Then one late night you gave me a friend in the sushi bar. Park City, you are my friend and gave more than I can ever return.

Goodbye Park City, I will miss you dearly. In a year’s time I hope to return. I hope to wander your streets again, get my shoes soaking wet and even see my new friends again. Tonight, you make it so hard to leave but I have to. So, with memories in hand, I will depart ready to return to you soon.

Lower Main Street

Lower Main Street

Snowy Day on Main Street

Snowy Day on Main Street

Tags: , , ,