Sundance/Slamdance summary

January 30, 2011 : 12:51 am | by Alexander Miskin

What can I say about Sundance and Slamdance?  It has been an experience that I will always remember for the rest of my life.  Before this festival I would not know what to think of the independent film environment.  Now, in a way, I have seen both sides.  At Sundance it is more like a corporate event.  Filmmakers are trying for big studio distribution while every event is sponsored by a major company.  In a way it feels like Hollywood business men are calling themselves indie.  But that is just my cynical opinion on a small part of Sundance.

I have watched some of the best films that I have seen in a long time.  Last night I watched Vampire.  I have to say that film was one of the most beautiful films that I’ve watched in a long time.  Hobo with a Shotgun is one of the most entertaining grind-house that has ever come out.  Take Shelter showed one of the best performances from Michael Shannon.  I enjoyed the various venues for the films especially The Egyptian.    I also happened to meet my all time hero, Lou Reed. Honestly if I had a life check list, one of my goals would be checked off.

I have enjoyed being a radio correspondent for Slamdance.  It has given me a chance to meet all kinds of interesting directors and producers.   I was very thankful that Slamdance treated our radio station WECX  warmly and kindly.  I have interviewed directors from all over the world including India.  I have watched one of the few music documentaries at this festival about Marian Andersen, the lead singer of the Insaints.  We were even treated to seeing the remaining members play us a concert.  The lead singer even molested Nathan with a banana during the show.  (You have to see the documentary to understand)  The environment of that festival felt like an independent film festival. People were there to experience underground film and meet others who have the same interest in that close cosy setting.  I was honored to call our radio show the Slamdance Special.    Please listen to 6:00 Radio with Alex Miskin and Nathan Rupp.