Sundance Film: The Green Wave

January 31, 2011 : 3:53 pm | by Travis Tyler

I still cant stop thinking about The Green Wave.

I still can't stop thinking about "The Green Wave."

“Iran? Wait, that isn’t Iraq. Oh, it’s the big one next to it? I don’t know anything about it,” I thought as I purchased a ticket to The Green Wave. Until this movie, I’ve never seen a person get murdered. And I mean an actual person dying in front of my own eyes.

In early 2009, the youth of Iran (which is a large percentage of its population) organized into a massive movement. Attempting to challenge the political and social systems in place, the Green Wave (as they called themselves) found a unique and liberal candidate who promised change, Mir Hossein Mousavi. As the movement grew, it seemed impossible that his opponent, Islamic fundamentalist, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad even stood a chance at winning. When voting day came, something strange was going on. Ballots were almost incomprehensible and very confusing. Voting centers were allegedly running out of ballots early in the day, and many closed down. When the results came in, the numbers were the exact opposite of what the majority of Iranians predicted.

As a result, the wide spread shock, confusion, and anger rippled through the Iranian youth. Cheated and disappointed the Green Wave wasn’t going to give up yet, soon taking to the streets in non-violent protest, it seemed not all was lost.

This is when it began getting scary. V for Vendetta and George Orwell’s 1984 depict the fictional idea of an all powerful government withholding freedoms of expression, speech, and dissent the people have. Ali Samadi Ahadi’s, The Green Wave intertwines animation, real-life testimonials, quoted blogs and social networking updates to show the world what’s happening inside the walls of Iran. I’ve never had a movie make me so angry with the viciousness of government to innocent people.

From the moment I walked out of the theater, to the moment I post this blog my heart sits heavy for the people of Iran. Hey world, wake up and watch The Green Wave.

Tags: