FED UP

January 25, 2014 : 5:06 pm | by Lexy Ford

This morning I finally got the chance to see the film I was most excited about. I read about it in the brochure before we left for Sundance and told myself it was one I couldn’t miss. Fed Up directed by Stephanie Soechtig left me leaving the theater full of ambitions and hope for future change in the American food industry. This documentary revealed some of the horrifying truths about what we as Americans are consuming on a daily basis and how detrimental these products can be to our health. Everyone in the audience is presented with a handful of case studies and is told heartbreaking stories along with loads of statistics and evidence on obesity rates and nutritional value. Fed Up reveals that the long-held misconception that less calories and more exercise leads to lowering obesity rates is simply a tactic being used to cover up the real danger in our foods; sugar. The nation is being deceived by major food corporations into thinking that labels on products are truthful. All of the attempts at removing fat from products and therefore making them ‘fat free’ or ‘reduced fat’ or any of the other misleading labels we see on items really just means that there is now double the sugar to make up for the lack of flavoring that the fat used to provide. This film was a revolutionary inside look at a topic that not many people are talking about due to the lack of information available to the general public. This is a necessary film for the country to see and should be provided in every public school out there since it addresses the true meaning of eating healthy and how it is being ignored in school cafeterias. We have been letting big corporations prioritize their income over our public health for far too long, and this documentary is a great step in bringing awareness to this issue.

It was especially inspiring to experience the aftermath of the film’s screening. It’s truly something special to see a film provoke profound conversation and hope for change. In the line for the bathroom I overheard strangers sharing their childhood experiences with one another in regards to what food they were fed growing up and some of the transitions they have made since. Just outside the theater, I overheard a family planning for what changes they were going to implement in their own home, and at the snack stand I saw a couple pointing and talking about all of the options that were being offered and how it so clearly reflected what we had just seen in the film. In my opinion, these are the types of reactions we should be seeing after most films. It left me with the aspiration to make a film with a comparatively powerful message as Fed Up provided.

Tags: , ,