- Waterfront Staff
- Instructional Program Home
- Friends of the Waterfront
- Summer Watersports Camp 2013
- Sailing Team
- Support / Donations
- Boat and Equipment Sales
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
local: (727) 864-8288
Each member participates in an intensive, nine-month training program designed to develop a standard proficiency level in the basic skills:
- Phase I, II, and III: Required progression for all first year team members covering basic seamanship, marlinespike, and rescue techniques.
- Second Mate: Further development into advanced rescue techniques.
After completing the these sequences of training, interested members may then pursue specialized training in:
- First Mate: Go aboard vessels we assist, lead crew and run deck aboard SRU.
- First Responder: Provide first aid to stabilize and transport injured persons to paramedics.
- Coxswain: Pilot single outboards on cases of lower complexity.
- Boat Captain: Pilot larger rescue vessels on more complex cases.
Students also learn how to function in our Operations/Communication center:
- Radio Operator: Monitors VHF, 800mHz, and phone communications. Assists in the completion of computerized case records.
- Operations Coordinator: Supervise the Operations/Communications center and assist the SAR Coordinator in decision-making and case progression.
The first Phase of training is complete as a trial to full team membership. Upon successful completion of Phase I, trainees are invited to sign a one-year service contract to continue their participation.