Specialized Accommodation Requests

In addition to classroom-based academic accommodations, Accessible Education Services also oversees accommodations granted in on-campus residence halls and dining plans due to a disabling condition. Eckerd College has developed specific protocols for managing these accommodation requests so that concerns can be reasonably accommodated and students can participate fully in the College’s academic and co-curricular program.

Requesting specialized housing accommodations due to a disability involves planning and careful consideration.  All housing requests are reviewed by the Specialized Housing Accommodation Review Group in accordance with Accessible Education Services’ guidelines. All Eckerd College students living in residence halls are expected to follow housing policies and procedures developed by the Housing Office and Division of Student Affairs. As students consider their intention to request specialized housing, they should be aware of their responsibilities as outlined in the Eckerd College Housing Agreement and the regulations as set forth in the EC-Book.

Specialized housing accommodations are not granted to accommodate a specific diagnostic condition or label, but the documented impact of a disability. Consequently, sometimes a medical condition may reach the level of needing accommodations and other times will not.

Learn More About Housing Accommodations

Eckerd welcomes the presence of pets on campus, understanding the emotional support function many pets provide. Pets provide unconditional love, and help students understand the importance of caring for another living creature. One of the reasons Eckerd’s pet policy was created was to provide students attending classes and living on-campus the opportunity to live with their family pets in their residence halls, recognizing the positive support of pets. As such, the College expects all students with pets to abide by the guidelines of the pet policy. Only animals classified as Emotional Support Animals and/or Service Animals, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended, the Fair Housing Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, are allowed to live on-campus outside the guidelines established by the pet policy.

Learn More About Emotional Support & Service Animals

All students who reside on campus, with the exception of those living in the Omega Residence Hall, are required to be on a college meal plan. This requirement insures that students are provided with proper nutrition while having the opportunity to engage socially with their peers while dining.

Students who have a medically diagnosed dietary condition (i.e. severe food allergies, Celiac disease, etc.) may submit a meal plan exemption request online no later than the deadlines listed in the policy.

Every effort will be made to meet the student’s dietary needs before an exemption is considered.

Learn More Read Meal Plan Participation Policy