- To bring together students, staff and faculty to foster a continuing and challenging campus conversation about spiritual issues.
- To provide a forum for public education and discussion focused on the role of religion and spiritual life in the contemporary world.
- To offer through the Campus Ministries program means of enriching the spiritual lives and understanding of our students.
- To nurture religious pluralism
on campus and develop interfaith cooperation throughout the entire college community.
The Center for Spiritual Life comprises three divisions: The Office of the Director, Campus Ministries, and the Colloquy Program.
- The Office of the Director administers the Burchenal lecture series, public events for available to larger Tampa Bay community; introduces new initiatives that meet the changing spiritual needs of the entire Eckerd community; and seeks to connect the college with off-campus entities, including local religious organizations.
- Campus Ministries program coordinates all on-campus religious life services and programming. A student-driven and student-responsive program, Campus Ministries seeks to develop and enhance the spiritual lives of students within the context of Eckerd College’s vision of educating the whole person.
- The Colloquy Program invites full-time faculty to engage on a regular basis other members of the community in discussion around contemporary issues of faith and religion.
The Center is advised by an active Spiritual Life Council with members representing the Eckerd College Board of Trustees, the Presbyterian Church, USA, and other Christian and non-Christian religious traditions.