The primary mission of the Friends of the Eckerd College Library is:
- To help Eckerd College enrich the library’s collections and enhance the library’s increasingly diversified services and resources.
Some examples of how the Friends have been contributing to the library are:
- purchasing specialized books
- modernizing library furnishings
- updating computer programs and equipment
- preserving Eckerd College historical records
As a friend you will have opportunities for meeting like-minded individuals in events sponsored during the academic year. Active members from all walks of life and interests provide a fascinating base for personal interaction.
Through membership in the Friends you will affirm the importance of all of the library resources in your life and the enhancement of cultural opportunities in the community.
- The satisfaction of helping support the intellectual basis of Eckerd College.
- Worldwide access to your areas of interest or professional endeavor through the Library’s permanent collection and constantly upgraded electronic resources.
- In addition to basic library services (access to reference librarians, books, periodicals, etc.), you will have full on-site access to our electronic databases.
- The online library catalog can be accessed either from the library or from home.
- A library card allowing you to borrow up to five books for three weeks.
- Eckerd College’s monthly events calendar, “EC This Month.”
- Library professionals are available for assistance with the latest library equipment (scanners, printers, and photocopiers).
How to Join
The membership year is from July 1 to June 30.
Entitles you to participate in all of the Friend’s activities and to borrowing privileges at the Eckerd College Library. Regular memberships are not available to anyone under nineteen years of age.
Extends these privileges to all members of your immediate family. Any family member under nineteen must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to check out materials.
Members will receive additional special recognition by the Board of directors.
Book-a-Year Endowment Fund
The purpose of the Book-A-Year is:
- to develop long-term support for the Eckerd College Library through a book endowment fund.
- to provide a continuing remembrance for someone which, at the same time, becomes an integral part of Library funding.
For a tax-deductible gift of $1000.00, the Library will purchase a book each year, in perpetuity, in the name of the donor, or in their memory or honor of someone the donor specifies.
For a gift of $100, the Library will purchase a book in recognition of the donor, or in memory or honor of someone the donor specifies.