Eckerd College’s Young Writers’ Workshop invites high school students to explore creative writing at Eckerd as potential major.
Spend the week with our award-winning faculty and explore the craft of creative writing. You’ll focus primarily on fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Through discussions of published work, you will examine how writers create vivid and engaging art.
After discussions and in-class writing assignments, students will participate in a workshop of their own work. The program will culminate in a celebration of student work with a reading.
Come prepared to engage deeply with creative writing, all while exploring the different genres.
Take a look at our sample schedule to get a sense of the daily activities.
Students enrolled in the program will:
- Participate in college-level discussions about the craft of creative writing
- Share and discuss your writing exercises with your classmates and professors
- Visit the Museum of Fine Arts to practice ekphrasis writing
- Explore Fort DeSoto, a sprawling historic beach and waterfront, and try your hand at nature writing
- Discuss and examine your own work in workshop with faculty and your peers
- Enjoy evening activities led by our residential counselors on South Beach
Room and Board
Few colleges have a more attractive setting than Eckerd College. The 188-acre waterfront campus provides a magnificent atmosphere and safe environment. Eckerd College is located in St. Petersburg, just off I-275 exit 17.Directions & Map
Residential counselors work with students in the late afternoons, evenings and overnight. Staff consists of well-trained current Eckerd College students and recent graduates eager to share their enthusiasm for learning.
Students will live in air-conditioned Eckerd College student residence halls, double- or triple- room occupancy, reserved exclusively for participants in this program. Counselors will be present in each single-sex residence hall.
Student participants will eat in the main cafeteria which can accommodate allergies, lactose and gluten-free diets. We also have kosher, vegetarian and vegan options available to students. If you have particular needs, please be sure to note them on the General and Medical Information form.
|60 days before start date||100%|
|30 days before start date||50%|
|20 days before start date||20%|
|<20 days before start date||0%|
Processing fee of $25 is non-refundable.
No refund will be issued for the following:
- If a participant fails to show up for the program.
- If a participant is dismissed from the program by the College.
Participants who cancel their registration and are eligible for a refund should contact email@example.com or 727.864.7994.