Learn about Eckerd
Located on 188 acres of waterfront property in St. Petersburg, Florida, Eckerd College is a private, coeducational college of liberal arts and sciences known distinctively for marine science, environmental studies, international relations and global affairs, creative writing, management, study abroad, and civic engagement. Eckerd's 1,850 residential students from 47 states and 33 countries choose among 38 majors leading to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Nearly 40% of each Eckerd graduating class goes on to pursue advanced degrees, and Eckerd is among the nation's leaders in the percentage of its graduates who earn doctoral degrees.
In addition, 700 students are enrolled in the Program for Experienced Learners, a bachelor's degree program for adult learners. Eckerd's Leadership Development Institute executive education program, Academy of Senior Professionals at Eckerd College (ASPEC), Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and Road Scholar identify the college as a national leader of innovative programs in continuing education and lifelong learning.
Eckerd College is one of only 40 schools listed in Loren Pope's trusted Colleges That Change Lives. One of the youngest colleges to be awarded a Phi Beta Kappa chapter for the quality of its undergraduate education, Eckerd has one of the highest proportions of students who study abroad during their college career.
Eckerd College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Eckerd College. The Commission requests that they be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. For more information about the Commission, please visit their website at www.sacscoc.org.
A coeducational college of the liberal arts and sciences, it is related by covenant to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
History of the College's Name
The school was founded in 1958 as Florida Presbyterian College and admitted its first students in 1960. In 1972, the College’s name was changed to honor the late Jack M. Eckerd, a prominent Florida civic leader and businessman whose gifts and commitments to the institution have helped to insure its continuing excellence. More than 11,000 graduates are seeking to lead lives of leadership and service in communities throughout the world.