Eckerd College is proud to be part of the Tampa Bay community. We encourage the public to join us on campus and in St. Petersburg to take advantage of our events, programs and offerings.
- Art Exhibits – Eckerd is an art lover’s paradise. Cobb and Elliott galleries offer many shows a year featuring works from the College’s collection, student and alumni art, and exhibits from nationally and internationally known artists. Gallery hours: Monday through Friday, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Eckerd College Writers’ Conference – Each January, some of the world’s best-known writers participate in the Eckerd College Writers’ Conference: Writers in Paradise, eight days of intimate workshops, roundtables and panel discussions. Founded in 2005 by Sterling Watson and Dennis Lehane, the conference includes the Evening Reading Series, free and open to the public.
- A Night at the Theater – Featuring works from Shakespeare to playwrights of today, Eckerd’s performing arts faculty and students stage at least two major productions a year. A Simple Theatre, Eckerd’s theatre-in-residence, also presents readings and full-scale professional productions. Fans of the unpredictable should drop in to catch a performance of Another Man’s Trash, Eckerd’s student improv group, which recently was featured at the acclaimed Chicago improv Festival.
- Met Opera and National Theatre Live in HD at Eckerd College – The Metropolitan Opera is a vibrant home for the most creative and talented singers, conductors, composers, musicians, stage directors, designers, visual artists, choreographers, and dancers from around the world. Now you can enjoy the entire 2015/16 Metropolitan Opera season simulcast in the Dan and Mary Miller Auditorium on the Eckerd College campus. All operas are presented with English subtitles.
- Fans of Film – The International Cinema Series offers screenings of critically acclaimed international and art house films most Friday evenings. Each February the College hosts the Environmental Film Festival: Visions of Nature/Voices of Nature, which features films that raise awareness and promote discussion of matters relating to nature, place and the environment. All are free and open to the public.
- The Sounds of Music – Hear a concert on our Flentrop organ in Wireman Chapel. Listen to our student choir. Enjoy our community band or chamber orchestra. Attend one of our guest performances.
- Writings and Readings – Eckerd Creative Writing faculty and students share their work, as do visiting authors and poets, during public readings and discussions. Students also publish Eckerd Review, an annual collection of the best literature and art from Eckerd College. The Review is released free to the public each May at a reading and art party.
- Athletics – Eckerd College offers the community several opportunities each week to see highly competitive NCAA Division ii athletes perform. Bring the family to see men’s baseball, women’s volleyballand softball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, sailing, soccer and tennis. Eckerd athletes also annually host Fun in the Sun and the Triton Trot, a 5K run/walk.
- St. Petersburg Science Festival – Eckerd College co-sponsors and provides off-campus exhibits for the annual St. Petersburg Science Festival in October. the whole family can experience fun hands-on activities in science, technology, engineering and math.
Conference center – Planning a seminar, conference, workshop or youth program? We can accommodate almost any event. Housing, meals and meeting rooms are available, particularly during the summer. Our seasoned conference staff offers the support you need to organize and execute a successful event. And our safe and secure campus on the banks of Boca Ciega Bay is the perfect setting.
Open Your Home
ELS Homestay Program – Got extra space at home? Interested in hosting an international student? ELS Language Services, a language-immersion school for international students, has been on the Eckerd College campus since 1976. This outstanding program attracts students from as many as 30 countries at a time. Consider opening your home to a student for four weeks or longer.
Presidential Events Series – Join us for stimulating lectures by our world-class faculty as well as artists, experts, activists and visiting professors from across the country. The Presidential Events Series (PES) is a centerpiece of intellectual life on campus. Check out our Public Events Calendar for the current listing.
- High School Humanities Program – Students entering 11th or 12th grade can immerse themselves in philosophy, literature, rhetoric and film studies during this one-week, residential “early college” experience led by Eckerd College professors.
- Middle School Summer Science Splash Camp – These one-week residential camps, made possible by the ii-Vi Foundation, connect future scientists with Eckerd College faculty and certified teachers from middle and high schools. Students work by day in the state-of-the-art James Center for Molecular and Life Sciences and by night enjoy activities around the campus.
- Sports and Water Camps – Children ages 5 to 17 can sail, swim, kayak and wakeboard, and play soccer, volleyball, softball, basketball and more about Eckerd Athletics camps and Eckerd Waterfront camps.