- News & Events
- Public Events Calendar
- News Center Archive
- Eckerd in the News
- College Program Series
- Events Archive
- Events Photo Gallery
- Points of Pride
- Inside Eckerd Newsletter
- Office of Marketing and Communications
- 'The Current' Student Newspaper
Office of Marketing and Communications
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
toll-free: (800) 456-9009
fax: (727) 864-1877
News & Events
Eckerd College Named to Chronicle of Higher Education's Great Colleges to Work For Program
Eckerd College has been named to The Chronicle of Higher Education's 2011 Great Colleges to Work For program. The Chronicle identified 12 features of an excellent academic workplaces and asked faculty and staff at colleges of all sizes and types from across the country to assess their employers in those terms. Eckerd employees rated the College highly enough to be recognized in the 'Compensation and Benefits' category.
Click here to explore the complete 2011 Great Colleges to Work For list. To find Eckerd College, click on 'Compensation and Benefits' in the 'Compensation' box. Eckerd can also be found by clicking on the 'Pick Your Priorities' and 'Map' buttons.
The Compensation and Benefits category is defined as "Pay is fair, and benefits meet the needs of employees." One of Eckerd's notable features relating to compensation and benefits is the fact that should an employee participate in a retirement fund option, the College will contribute 10% of the employee's salary to the fund whether or not the employee contributes anything to the account.
By the numbers:
- Of Eckerd College's employees, 114 full-time faculty and 140 administrators and exempt professionals were invited to participate in the survey;
- Eckerd is one of 111 institutions recognized as a 2011 Great College to Work For, including 85 four-year institutions and 26 two-year institutions;
- Eckerd is one of only 5 Florida schools (includes Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Rollins College, Florida International University and Miami Dade College) on the entire list;
- Eckerd is one of 10 small, 4-year colleges (fewer than 3,000 students) recognized in the 'Compensation and Benefits' category;
- 44,000 people at 310 institutions participated in 2011, including 244 four-year institutions and 66 two-year institutions. (Survey history: 89 institutions in 2008; 247 in 2009; 277 in 2010.)
Now in its fourth year, the Great Colleges survey was administered online in March and April of this year. The assessment was administered by ModernThink LLC, a human-resources-consulting firm based in Wilmington, Del. A panel of higher-education experts helped to customize the survey to reflect issues unique to colleges.