Twenty rising Eckerd College juniors have been selected as Ford Apprentice Scholars, according to Suzan Harrison, Ph.D., Dean of Faculty and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The Ford Apprentice Scholars Program at Eckerd was launched by a grant from the Ford Foundation in 1987, sustained by a second Ford grant in 1991 and now supported by the College. These juniors will participate in a two-year course of study designed to prepare them for graduate school and to pursue a career in higher education teaching.
Our news Class of 2016 Ford Scholars are:
- Haven Allard Oakland, Calif., Chemistry and Philosophy
- Henry Ashworth Ventura, Calif., Biochemistry
- Shannon Bownes Laconia, N.H., Intl Relations/Global Affairs and Women’s & Gender Studies
- Haley Burger Gainesville, Fla., environmental studies
- Victoria Carodine Plano, Texas, Religious Studies and Ancient Studies
- Brooke Cerny Lake George, N.Y., Visual Arts
- Matthew Cramer Minneapolis, Minn., Spanish and Political Science
- Derek Godshall Souderton, Pa., International Relations/Global Affairs and Environmental Studies
- Shelby Hall Gainesville, Fla., Women’s and Gender Studies
- Matthew Hardy Bradenton, Fla., Environmental Studies and Spanish
- Krysta LaMotte Atlanta, Psychology and Human Development
- Megan McCoy Winter Park, Fla., Economics and mathematics
- Madeline McGrath St. Petersburg, Biology
- Alexandra Mezentsev Pebble Beach, Calif., Environmental Studies
- Robert Musci San Jose, Calif., Environmental Studies
- Hannah Sisk Hope, Maine, International Studies
- Julia Sparks Atlanta, Environmental Studies and Economics
- Kevin Thielen Bradenton, Fla., Mathematics and Physics
- Mackenzie Voots Austin, Texas, Marine Science and Psychology
- Laura Winters Rochester, Minn., Anthropology
Faculty select and sponsor the participants on the basis of academic achievement, intellectual promise, and a willingness to explore college teaching as a career. The program involves special coursework, summer research in collaboration with a faculty sponsor, a major project during the Senior year and supervised teaching experience.