This Pre-College at Eckerd program is the perfect opportunity for high school students to explore marine science as a potential major here at Eckerd College.
As one of the best undergraduate marine science programs in the country, our pre-college program is no different. Modeled after our undergraduate curriculum, students will work with our internationally-recognized faculty on our prime waterfront location on the Gulf of Mexico.
Our hands-on curriculum in the field, on the water and in the lab has activities designed to explore marine biology, marine geology, marine chemistry, and more.
Students should come prepared to get wet and work hard each day as they participate in indoor and outdoor activities.
Take a look at our sample schedule to get a sense of the daily activities.
Students enrolled in the program may:
- Embark on a marine science research vessel to capture, identify and release sharks, rays and fish
- Net near shore marine fish and invertebrates, including shrimp, crabs and zooplankton
- Deploy hydrophones to hear underwater sounds, including dolphins, fish and snapping shrimp
- Photograph wild dolphins to better understand dolphin ecology and behavior in Florida’s coastal waters
- Observe foraging shorebirds and take sediment cores to find their prey on local beaches
- Encounter alligators, tortoises, snakes and birds of prey at a nature preserve
- Conduct a plankton tow and examine organisms under a microscope
- Investigate the interactions of corals, anemones and their symbionts using microscopy and microbiology
Check-out: June 12, 2:30-4 p.m.
Room and Board
Few colleges have a more attractive setting than Eckerd College. Our 188-acre waterfront campus provides a magnificent atmosphere and safe environment. Eckerd College is located in St. Petersburg, just off I-275 exit 17.Directions & Map
Residential counselors work with students in the late afternoons, evenings and overnight. Staff consists of well-trained current Eckerd College students and recent graduates eager to share their enthusiasm for learning.
Students will live in air-conditioned Eckerd College student residence halls, double- or triple- room occupancy, reserved exclusively for participants in this program. Counselors will be present in each single-sex residence hall.
Student participants will eat in the main cafeteria which can accommodate allergies, lactose and gluten-free diets. We also have kosher, vegetarian and vegan options available to students. If you have particular needs, please be sure to note them on the General and Medical Information form.
|60 days before start date||100%|
|30 days before start date||50%|
|20 days before start date||20%|
|<20 days before start date||0%|
Processing fee of $25 is non-refundable.
No refund will be issued for the following:
- If a participant fails to show up for the program.
- If a participant is dismissed from the program by the College.
Participants who cancel their registration and are eligible for a refund should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 727.864.7994.