Accessible, cost-effective, high quality primary care, preventative services and health education
The mission of Eckerd College Health Services is to provide accessible, cost-effective, high quality primary care and preventative services in a college setting to optimize the student’s wellness and ability to learn. These services do not solely focus on illness but also on development of health related to lifestyle decisions to enhance well-being.
The Health Center is operated by Bayfront Health Convenient Care, which has been serving the community for over 30 years. Bayfront is a Level II trauma, accident, and tertiary care center located in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. There are also conveniently located clinics in the area that are a part of Bayfront Health St. Petersburg system.
Health Services on campus is fortunate to have a physician and nurse practitioner, offering appointments on site and via telehealth.
- Call 727.864.8326 to schedule an appointment at Health Services.
- All patients will be screened via phone and an appointment scheduled.
- Walk-in appointments are available, but it is recommended to call first because there may be a wait.
- Same day appointments are available.
Students experiencing a medical concern when the health center is closed should contact their Resident Advisor or Campus Safety & Security at 727.864.8260. Contact 911 in the case of a medical emergency.
Reportable diseases and conditions
Health Services is required to report any testing or positive tests of the required reportable diseases to the Florida Department of Health. Eckerd College follows the quarantine and isolation recommendations provided by the Florida Department of Health, which may report positive tests from other healthcare facilities to the College if the disease requires isolation or quarantine.
Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed daily 1-2 p.m.
Walk-in clinics closest to campus
Eckerd College is fortunate to be in an urban area with many health related resources close to campus.
- CareSpot Urgent Care of St. Petersburg Northeast
7000 4th St. N., St. Petersburg, FL 33702
- CVS Minute Clinic
3501 54th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, 33711
- Walgreens HealthCare Clinic
900 49th Street North, St. Petersburg, 33710
These clinics are not affiliated with Eckerd College Health Services. Students are responsible for all costs incurred. Please ensure that your student insurance covers the charges at these clinics.
Health Center physicians and nurse practitioners provide services for a wide range of medical concerns including COVID-19, flu, cough and cold symptoms, upper respiratory disorders, gastrointestinal disorders and nausea, injuries/bruises, bacterial infections, rashes and pain.
Primary care physicians are on staff two days per week to provide routine physical exams, well-woman exams and gynecological services, STI testing and assist with refilling prescriptions from your healthcare provider at home.
Nurse Practitioners, in consultation with Counseling Services, also provide referrals if needed for emotional concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Nurse Practitioners can write prescriptions, however, Bayfront is an urgent care provider (versus primary care), so this service is limited other than helping bridge services to assist students in finding appropriate referrals. Please contact Health Services for questions related to any medication concerns.
Please discuss your options at the time of your visit with Health Services. Bayfront staff does not fill prescriptions, however, may be able to refill some prescriptions on a limited basis. Students need to have their own medical provider off campus as Bayfront is considered urgent care. A CVS Pharmacy and the Publix Pharmacy are within walking distance of campus.
If you encounter a problem with the Health Center, please speak to one of the Health Services staff. You may also address your concern with Kate Daigle, Executive Director of Counseling, Health and Advocacy Services, who serves as the College’s liaison (727.864.8248 or firstname.lastname@example.org), or contact Bayfront Health at 727.381.3627 Extension 50175. Additionally, all patients will receive a link to complete a survey following your visit to Health Services that you may use to provide feedback.
Release of any information requires your written consent, including:
- Alcohol / drug information
- Allergy Shots
- COVID-19 test results (with the exception of reporting to the Department of Health which is required by law.)
- Diagnostic tests performed at our certified laboratory or sent to an outside facility
- Eating disorder care / information
- Evaluation & treatment of illness or injury
- Flu Shots
- Health education programs
- International travel advisory
- Management of chronic disease / disability
- Minor procedures, (i.e. Wart removal)
- Physical exams (sports, employment, etc.)
- Pregnancy testing
- Referrals to specialists as needed
- Sexual health counseling
- Sexually transmitted disease testing / treatment
- X-ray, MRI, Mammogram referral to local facility
You have the right:
- To be treated with dignity and respect
- To know the names and professional status of those serving you
- To privacy
- To confidentiality of information in your records
- To receive accurate and understandable information about your health
- To know the significant beneficial effects, side effects, and problems of treatment
- To participate in choosing a form of treatment
- To receive health education and counseling
- To consent to, or refuse, any care or treatment
- To select and/or change your healthcare provider
- To review your medical records with a clinician
- To be informed about services and any related costs
- To receive appropriate referrals to other providers and services
Information regarding the student health insurance plan, administered by United Health Care, can be found on the Bursar’s student insurance website. The student health insurance plan complies with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Health Services accepts most private health insurance plans, including United Health Care.
Most insurances are accepted including Eckerd College’s Health Plan. Fees are charged for all:
- Allergy injections
- Physical exams
Payment due at time of service may be paid by cash or personal check.