Accessible, cost-effective, high quality urgent care, preventative services and health education
The mission of Eckerd College Health Services is to provide accessible, cost-effective, high quality urgent care and preventative services in a college setting to optimize the student’s wellness for the ability to learn. These services do not solely focus on illness but also of development of health related to lifestyle decisions to enhance well-being.
The Health Center is operated by Bayfront Health Convenient Care, which has been serving the community for over 30 years. Bayfront is a Level II trauma, accident, and tertiary care center located in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. There are also conveniently located clinics in the area that are a part of Bayfront Health St. Petersburg system.
Health Services on campus is fortunate to have a medical doctor and nurse practitioner, offering walk-in appointments on-site.
- Call 727-864-8326 during the center’s hours (even for same-day appointments)
- Stop by Edmundson Hall and talk with our staff
- Walk-ins are also welcome
Students experiencing a medical concern when the health center is closed should contact their Resident Advisor or Campus Safety & Security at 727-864-8260. Contact 911 in the case of a medical emergency.
Walk-in clinics closest to campus
Eckerd College is fortunate to be in an urban area with many health related resources close to campus.
- Bayfront Health Convenient Care, 1550 Pasadena Ave South, South Pasadena, 33707, Phone: 727-381-3627
- CVS Minute Clinic, 3501 54th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, 33711, Phone: 727-864-1546
- Walgreens HealthCare Clinic, 900 49th Street North, St. Petersburg, 33710, Phone: 727-327-8801
These clinics are not affiliated with Eckerd College Health Services. Students are responsible for all costs incurred. Please ensure that your student insurance covers the charges at these clinics.
Health Center Nurse Practitioners provide services for a wide range of medical concerns, including the flu, cough and cold symptoms, upper respiratory disorders, gastro-intestinal disorders and nausea, injuries/bruises, bacterial infections, rashes and pain. Nurse Practitioners also provide a variety of routine physical exams, vaccines for living in the residence halls or traveling abroad, and assist with bridging services to a local primary care physician or other medical provider (e.g., when students need to have prescriptions refilled).
Nurse Practitioners, in consultation with Counseling Services, also provide referrals if needed for emotional concerns. For medical concerns, Health Services accepts walk-in appointments to meet with the nurse practitioner onsite.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Nurse Practitioners can write prescriptions, however, Bayfront is an urgent care provider (versus primary care), so this service is limited other than helping bridge services to assist students in finding appropriate referrals. Please contact Health Services for questions related to any medication concerns.
Please discuss your options at the time of your visit with Health Services 727.864.8326. Bayfront staff does not fill prescriptions, however, may be able to refill some prescriptions on a limited basis. Students need to have their own medical provider off campus as Bayfront is considered urgent care. A CVS Pharmacy and the Publix Pharmacy are within walking distance of campus.
If you encounter a problem with the Health Center, please speak to one of the Health Center staff. You may also address your concern with Trajana Thomas, Acting Director of Counseling Services and Staff Psychotherapist, who serves as the College’s liaison to the Health Center, or contact Bayfront Health at 727-381-3627 x50175. If you would like to report a comment or complaint anonymously, you may use our feedback form.
Release of any information requires your written consent, including:
- Alcohol / drug information
- Allergy Shots
- Diagnostic tests performed at our certified laboratory or sent to an outside facility
- Eating disorder care / information
- Evaluation & treatment of illness or injury
- Flu Shots
- Health education programs
- International travel advisory
- Management of chronic disease / disability
- Minor procedures, (i.e. Wart removal)
- Physical exams (sports, employment, etc.)
- Pregnancy testing
- Referrals to specialists as needed
- Resting area available during office hours
- Sexual health counseling
- Sexually transmitted disease testing / treatment
- X-ray, MRI, Mammogram referral to local facility
You have the right:
- To be treated with dignity and respect
- To know the names and professional status of those serving you
- To privacy
- To confidentiality of information in your records
- To receive accurate and understandable information about your health
- To know the significant beneficial effects, side effects, and problems of treatment
- To participate in choosing a form of treatment
- To receive health education and counseling
- To consent to, or refuse, any care or treatment
- To select and/or change your health care provider
- To review your medical records with a clinician
- To be informed about services and any related costs
- To receive appropriate referrals to other providers and services
The voucher system is not designed to provide urgent or immediate care, so please plan accordingly when requesting a taxi voucher, as a wait may be required.
Information regarding the student health insurance plan, administered by United Health Care, can be found on the Bursar’s student insurance website. The student health insurance plan complies with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Health Services accepts most private health insurance plans, including United Health Care. If you have any questions regarding your insurance coverage with Health Services, or what services are covered, you may call Health Services at 727.864.8326.
Most insurances are accepted including Eckerd College’s Health Plan. Fees are charged for all:
- diagnostic tests
- allergy injections
- minor procedures
- physical exams
Payment due at time of service may be paid by cash, personal check or added to your Student Account.