Combine a liberal arts education with conservatory training
The Theatre Discipline offers a 2 + 2 program through an articulation agreement with Circle in the Square Theatre School. This partnership results in a choice of one of two degrees granted by Eckerd College: either a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Theatre or a BFA in Musical Theatre.
Founded in 1961, Circle in the Square Theatre School is the nation’s only conservatory housed in a Broadway Theatre. The nationally accredited theatre institution has many notable alumni including Kevin Bacon, Benecio del Toro, Idina Menzel and Maura Tierney.
A student will follow one of two paths to earn either a BFA in Theatre or a BFA in Musical Theatre.
The Circle/Eckerd BFA has two application options: Early Action or Rolling Admissions. Both options are non-binding and do not require a decision until May 1 but candidates must complete separate admission applications for both Eckerd College and Circle in the Square Theatre School, and candidates must be accepted by both institutions in order to be enrolled in the BFA program.
- To apply for admission to Eckerd College, you can use Eckerd’s own online application or the Common Application (we consider both application options equally).
- To apply for admission to Circle in the Square Theatre School, you must set up an audition on Acceptd.
There are different audition requirements for the Theatre track and the Musical Theatre track, and candidates should carefully follow the Prescreen Requirements.
Auditions are held for two days every month, and candidates have the option of auditioning either in person at Circle in the Square or virtually.Upcoming audition dates
2+2 Program: How it works
- Two full years of study (with passing grades and two-year certificate) at Circle in the Square Theatre School will be counted as 63 semester hours or 18 courses (two full years) at Eckerd.
- One full year of study (with passing grades) at Circle in the Square Theatre School will be counted as 31.5 semester hours or 9 courses (one full year) at Eckerd.
- Students must complete separate admission requirements for Eckerd College and for Circle in the Square Theatre School. Candidates will complete the application for admission for both schools; admission is determined by each school separately.
- Students must interview and audition as part of the entrance requirements to Circle in the Square Theatre School.
- Students pursuing a BFA degree will pay tuition/fees to the institution they are currently attending. Scholarships and financial aid are also awarded by each school and are non-transferable.
- Eckerd students will be placed on College Leave status while they complete courses at Circle in the Square Theatre School.
- Successfully completed courses from Circle in the Square Theatre School will be transcripted in as transfer courses with no grade/GPA value (they will not appear as Eckerd course).