Assistant Professor of Biology
- Ph.D., Biological Sciences, Auburn University
- M.S., Biology, Sam Houston State University
- B.A., Biology, Thomas More College
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 (BIOL 2510)
- Biomedical Physiology (BIOL 5600/6600)
- Comparative vertebrate anatomy (BI 200)
- Ecology, evolution, and diversity (BI 111)
- Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles (BI 362)
- Biology Capstone (BI 498)
Research is focused on understanding proximate causes and ultimate effects of the environment on vertebrate populations using reptiles as both experimental models and case studies for conservation.
- Goessling, JM, C Guyer, JC Godwin, SM Hermann, FC Sandmeier, LL Smith, and MT Mendonça. 2019. Upper respiratory tract disease and associated diagnostic tests of mycoplasmosis in Alabama populations of Gopher tortoises, Gopherus polyphemus. PLos One, 14: 1-12.
- Goessling, JM, C Ward, and MT Mendonça. 2019. Rapid thermal immune acclimation in common musk turtles (Sternotherus odoratus). Journal of Experimental Zoology, A. 2019; 1 – 7.
- Goessling, JM, S Kohler*, B Overman*, C Guyer, EH Schwartz and MT Mendonça. 2017. An experimental evaluation of the seasonal lag hypothesis of constitutive innate and cell-mediated humoral immunity in Gopher Tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus). Journal of Experimental Zoology, A.
- Goessling, JM, C Guyer, and MT Mendonça. 2017. More than fever: Thermoregulatory responses to acute immunological stimulation and consequences of thermoregulatory strategy on innate immune function in Gopher Tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology: Ecological and Evolutionary Perspectives.
- Goessling, JM, C Guyer and MT Mendonca. 2016. Seasonal acclimation of constitutive immunity in Gopher Tortoises, Gopherus polyphemus. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology: Ecological and Evolutionary Perspectives 89: 487 – 497.
- Goessling, JM, H Kennedy*, MT Mendonca, and AE Wilson. 2015. A meta-analysis of plasma corticosterone and heterophil: lymphocyte ratios: Is there stability in biomarkers of environmental stress? Functional Ecology. 29: 1189-1196.
- Goessling JM, WI Lutterschmidt, HK. Reinert, L Bushar, and RA Odum. 2015. Multi-year sampling reveals an increased population density of an endemic lizard following the establishment of an invasive snake on Aruba. Journal of Herpetology. 49(3): 358-363.