Academic Course Offerings
During the summer, courses may be taken in a variety of formats: remote or self-study (which includes Independent, Directed, and Summer Individual Study).
Remote courses are offered in two sessions:
- Session A: May 26 – June 19, 2020
- Session B: June 22 – July 17, 2020
$1,630 per course
Select Summer 2020 from the drop down, Continue, and Search. If you select 50 from the drop down menu, you will see the entire schedule. If you hover over the Meeting Times, you will see when the course meets and the session. If the course does not indicate days of the week under Meeting Times, it is an individual study and does not meet in a remote class.
Registration for Eckerd College Students
- Registration for remote classes on ECWeb beginning May 1, 2020 and continues through the first day of class. Early registration is encouraged as some remote classes may cancel prior to the opening day or fill prior to the first day of class.
- Registration for Directed Studies, Independent Studies, and Individual Studies are all through the Registrar’s Office May 1-June 12, 2020.
- Early registration is encouraged as some faculty may not be accessible over the summer.
- After June 12, students must go to the Summer School Office in the Continuing Education Center.
More about Directed Studies, Independent Studies, and Individual Studies:
- The list of possible Directed Studies is under D in the course catalog. It is page 37 in the 2019-2020 edition. Independent Studies are courses that are created in collaboration with a faculty sponsor, and Individual Studies are courses in the Eckerd College catalog not being offered in the classroom during summer.
- Required paperwork is located in the Registrar’s Office.
- All coursework must be completed by August 1st.
Drop/Add, Withdrawal and Refund Deadlines
|Drop/Add||Session A – By May 26
Session B – By June 22
|Withdrawal with W Grade||Session A – By June 14
Session B – By July 12
|Withdrawal with F Grade||Session A – After June 14
Session B – After July 12
|Refunds||100% refund for classes dropped by 5 p.m. of the first class day (or by 9 a.m. of the second-class day for classes meeting after 5 p.m.). No refunds after the above time period.|
Independent, Directed and Summer Individual Study
|Drop with Full Refund||By June 12 – No Refunds after June 12|
|Withdrawal with W Grade||By June 12|
|Withdrawal with F Grade||After June 12|
Independent, Directed and Individual Studies
There are no scheduled classes. Students work independently under the supervision of the faculty. Many Independent, Directed and Summer Individual Studies do not require personal meetings or conferences between the faculty member and student. Written or e-mail correspondence, telephone communication and, in some instances, electronic bulletin boards provide the faculty/student interaction. Some courses, however, will require periodic virtual meetings with the instructor.
How do Independent, Directed and Individual Studies Differ?
Directed Study courses are Eckerd College courses that have been specifically adapted to and formally approved for delivery as courses to be taken outside the formal remote class setting. For each Directed Study course there exists an approved study guide syllabus. As list of approved Directed Study courses can be found in the course catalog. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the syllabus from the instructor.
Individual Study courses are Eckerd College catalog courses which may be taken in an individual study format during the summer. These courses are adapted for Individual Study by the sponsoring professor who provides a syllabus. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the syllabus from the instructor.
Independent Study courses allow students the opportunity to pursue areas of study and research in which no course work is offered but for which appropriate faculty resources exist. Independent Study projects allow students greater flexibility to pursue studies that are either of special interest to them or necessary for the completion of their degree requirements. Contracts are available online, at the Registrar’s Office and the Summer School Office. Read all instructions carefully.