Professor of Marine Science/Geosciences
- Ph.D., Marine Geology, University of South Florida, 1986
- M.S., Marine Geology, University of South Florida, 1981
- B.S., Geology, Youngstown State University, 1978
- Geologic development of continental margins and the study of sediments and sedimentary processes in marine and coastal systems. Recent interests focus on high-resolution records of extreme events in coastal and marine deposits, including high-resolution geochronology of natural and anthropogenic impacts.
- Research funding totaling over $5,000,000 over the past 10 years from NSF, USGS, Gulf of Mexico research Initiative (GoMRI) and a variety of other federal, state and local governmental agencies as well as private foundations. Actively supports 10-20 students/year on grant funded projects.
- >60 publications in the peer-reviewed literature.
- Served as Editor on a Special Publication in Marine Geology, Neogene Geology of a linked coastal/inner shelf system: west-central Florida (2003). Served as Sedimentologist on ODP Leg 182, Great Australian Bight (1998).
- Supervises labs for analysis of sediment texture and composition, and sediment geochronology (over past 100 years) using short-lived radioisotopes (Pb-210, Cs-137, Be-7, Th-234).
- Geological Oceanography
- Marine Geology
- Sedimentation and Stratigraphy
- Coastal Geology
- Geology and Biology of the Bahamas
- Coral Reef Environments: Belize, and Roatan
- Tropical Marine Environments: Florida Keys, Roatan, US/British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia/The Grenadines, and Cuba (Winter Term)
- Cultural and Natural Environments of the World (including travel): Southeastern Alaska, Australia, Tanzania, South Africa, Morocco, Fiji, Ecuador/Galapagos Islands, US/British Virgin Islands, and Cuba (Winter Term)
- Scientist at Sea
- Diercks, A. R., Romero, I. C., Larson, R. A., Schwing, P. T., Harris, A., Bosman, S., Chanton, J., Brooks, G. R. 2021. Resuspension, redistribution, and deposition of oil-residues to offshore depocenters after the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Brooks G. R., Larson RA, Schwing PT, Diercks AR, Armenteros-Almanza M, Diaz-Asencio M, Martinez-Suarez A, Sánchez-Cabeza JA, Ruiz-Fernandez AC, Herguera Garcia JC, Perez-Bernal LH, Hollander DJ, 2020, Gulf of Mexico (GoM) bottom sediments and depositional processes: A baseline for future oil spills. pp: 75-95, In: Murawski SA, Ainsworth C, Gilbert S, Hollander D, Paris CB, Schlüter M, Wetzel D (Eds.) Scenarios and Responses to Future Deep Oil Spills – Fighting the Next War. Springer 542 pp.
- Brooks, G. R., Larson, R. A., Schwing, P. T., Romero, I., Moore, C., Reichart, G-J., Jilbert, T., Chanton, J., Hastings, D., Hollander, D., 2015, Sedimentation Pulse in the NE Gulf of Mexico Following the 2010 DWH Blowout. PLoSOne Vol. 10 (7).
- Brooks, G. R., Larson, R. A., Devine, B., Schwing, P. T. 2015. Annual to millennial record of sediment delivery to US Virgin Island coastal environments. The Holocene.