Visiting Assistant Professor of Marine Science
- Ph.D., Chemical Oceanography, University of South Florida
- B.S., Marine Science (Geology), Eckerd College
- Geological Oceanography
- Introduction to Oceanography
- Earth System History
- Marine Invertebrate Paleontology
- Chemical and Physical Oceanography
- Natural History of the Galapagos Islands and Ecuador (Winter Term)
- Deep Sea Exploration (Winter Term)
My research program addresses societally relevant and globally significant issues concerning the assessment of diverse human activities including land-use development impacts, deep sea mining, oil spills, and the distribution and impacts of microplastics on marine systems. I currently have multiple projects in progress with undergraduate student involvement at all stages from proposal to fieldwork, laboratory and publication. Some selected outreach products can be viewed here: Why Did ‘Shocking’ Amounts of BP Oil Fall to the Seafloor?, National Geographic, April 18, 2015 and Little Critters that tell a BIG Story: Benthic Foraminifera and the Gulf Oil Spill, Smithsonian, June 2014.
- Schwing, P.T., Montagna, P.A., Joye, S.B., Paris, C.B., Cordes, E.E., McClain, C.R., Kilborn, J.P., Murawski, S.A. (2020). Deep Benthic Ecosystem Impacts of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill: Assembling the Record of Species and Community Change. Frontiers in Marine Science. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.560012.
- Schwing PT, Montagna PA, Machain-Castillo ML, Escobar-Briones E, Rohal M (2020) Benthic faunal baselines in the Gulf of Mexico: a precursor to evaluate future impacts (Chap. 6). In: Murawski SA, Ainsworth C, Gilbert S, Hollander D, Paris CB, Schlüter M, Wetzel D (eds) Scenarios and responses to future deep oil spills – fighting the next war. Springer, Cham
- Schwing PT, Hollander DJ, Brooks GR, Larson RA, Hastings DW, Chanton JP, Lincoln SA, Radović JR, Langenhoff A (2020) The sedimentary record of MOSSFA events in the Gulf of Mexico: a comparison of the Deepwater Horizon (2010) and Ixtoc 1 (1979) oil spills (Chap.13). In: Murawski SA, Ainsworth C, Gilbert S, Hollander D, Paris CB, Schlüter M, Wetzel D (eds) Deep oil spills: facts, fate, effects. Springer, Cham
- Schwing PT, Machain-Castillo ML (2020) Impact and resilience of benthic foraminifera in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon and Ixtoc 1 oil spills (Chap. 23). In: Murawski SA, Ainsworth C, Gilbert S, Hollander D, Paris CB, Schlüter M, Wetzel D (eds) Deep oil spills: facts, fate, effects. Springer, Cham